View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:59 pm

silver bullet? 
Longbeard

Post silver bullet?
Our birds up here in Frederick Co. are gobblin early and then shutting down at 7:30. No more sounding off for the rest of the morning. I wonder why. Along this same thought, has anyone in the past tried to predict when the goblers will gobble...I mean you can go out on a nice bluebird day after a week of cold, rainy nasty wx and, well the silence can be deffening. Then a day later, the wx is bad again and they're screaming their heads off. The gobblers now are covered with hens...maybe that's why they're not doin their later a.m. chorus. But after trying to figure out what days are more likey to produce good gobbling for 20 years or so, I'm at a loss. Anybody got the silver bullet?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:22 pm
Poult

I'm at a loss as well. I went out saturday on a farm in Louisa county where me and my hunting partner had heard a gobbler everyday from sunday until the friday before opening day. Saturday morning...nothing. We tried other places...nothing. I attributed that to the temperature drop from friday to saturday, but i dont know if thats it or not. I was so discouraged from that I didnt go out this morning, and now i regret it, but I just find myself wondering will they gobble.

As far as predicting the gobble, its hard. Where i hunt there are less birds than ever, and you hear less gobbling because most of the hens are with 1 gobbler and theres no need for him to gobble. But, I'd say by looking at projected weather forecasts, by saturday I'd think they'll be gobbling better down here, and hopefully next weeks projected consistent warmth will fire them up. Maybe I'm being optimistic but at this point I'll go for anything. I know this may not get to your point, but I just needed to get my frustration with Tom off my chest.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:36 pm
King of Spring

Post Ditto for me as well on Saturday
Went to my uncles place in Rockinham Co. Have found lots of sign and heard at least three different Gobblers on different occasions while scouting. Saturday morning at dawn lock jaw. Not a single bird sounded off in any direction. As his property adjoins a large tract of National Forest land I figured I'd climb to the top of the nearest high mountain and just listen a bit. Sat there for close to 45 minutes and once again nothing. Beats me. Guess that's why they call it hunting.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:19 am
Boss Gobbler

HENNED UP! When they have lots of hens around they dont need to gobble.
As for when they gobble I think High Pressure is best but I have known for that theory to be hogwash on certain days. Usually an approaching cold front shuts them down , but not always.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:49 am
King of Spring

I think Hody summed it up: sometimes they gobble but sometimes they don't :lol:

So hunt every chance you get!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:21 am
King of Spring

Well I had no lack of Gobbling on Saturday.. I put him to bed Friday Night and he gobbled probably 20 times then Saturday I know he gobbled at least 200 .. gobbled until 10:00 .. saw him three different times with no clean shot .. he had about 5 hens with him..

Went back yesterday with my buddy and he gobbled maybe 15 times and him and another silent tom that never made a peep made it into a field we were on the Edge of along with three hens at around 75 yds.. We had a Jake and Hen Deke out and when they saw them they just stayed put and strutted and gobbled a few times then the hens took them away.. Got some great Video though..

So one day he gobbled his fool head off till 10:00 and the next he may have gobbled 20 times total and shut up by 7:30 .. you just never know..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:46 am
Longbeard

Our bunch has killed three since opening day. Every day they have stopped by 7:30, with no real hot gobblin. All three birds were 2 yr olds. Today I heard two gobblers on another ridge(weak gobblin...jakes...half gobbles). By the time I got over there(6:40) lockjaw. Walking and callin I busted a flock of 20-25 birds, some of which were probably those jakes I heard.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:11 am