View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:20 pm

Monday luck, I hope 
King of Spring

Post Monday luck, I hope
Hey all this is a liitle late, so I guess I will see what happens. I went out this afternoon and put a good gobbling bird to bed. When he gobbled he sounded young, but I have heard old birds gobble like that to. I heard his hens fly up about 200 yds up from him. I plan to set up in between him and his ladies. I will let you know how things go in the morning. Went out Sat and did not heard a thing. I did see two other hunters come strollling into my setup at about 6:30. I also heard gun shots on the other side of the property at about 6:45. It seemed like my "private" land was looking more like"public". I hope the mornin will be better. I was the only one out putting the birds to "bed" tonight so I guess I stake claim to him. Good luck to all the rest of the season. Congrats to all the birds taken so far

Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:17 pm
Boss Gobbler

Good luck in the morning. I'm headed out to a piece of private property I have never hunted (just got permission). Can't wait to check out the land and hopefully chase a gobbler or two.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Well my plan worked out half way. When I arrived at the location I did not hear a thing.. At about fly down time the woods was awakened with dogs running deer. This lasted about 30 min of so then they left the area. I thought oh well. I had just gotten settled back in when guess what should aproach, another hunter. MAn if some people dont have all the luck. Well he seemed nice and all and he had permision to be there so I decided to hunt with him. I though the turkey was gone anyway because of the dogs. I reset up and told him to get ready and I called off and on for about an hour or so with no response. Then it finally happened a good thunderous gobble and it was close too. I told himn to get ready and there he was a nice nice bird. I guess the guy had never seen a turkey before he just froze. There he was with a nice strutter in his lap and nothing, I wanted so bad to swing my gun around and take that bird but I did not want to mess him up. After the little session he left and I stayed on till about 11:20 or so hearing nothing but tomarrow I will try again hopefully I will not see any other hunters or dogs.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:57 am
Poult

Oh man, that is too bad. I had deer dogs come through last year running 5 does in Fluvanna while we were in the process of working 2 longbeards that were gobbling pretty well, then they shut up. Keep working at it, if he came in today under those circumstances, you'll be able to work on him some more and hopefully put him in your freezer.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:46 pm