View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:59 pm

Cougar comeback? 
Boss Gobbler

Post Cougar comeback?
a road-killed cougar kitten in Kentucky, a track deemed real in West Virginia -- lead many cougar sleuths to conclude that the mountain lion, like the truth, is really out there.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031781870917&path=!health!healthology&s=1045855935235

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Sightings not only in Va. Ohio had a piece in one of their news papers two weeks ago.
Going to be a little uncomfortable walking in the dark to my tree stand when we go back to Ohio to bow hunting this year. : :roll:

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:41 pm
King of Spring

They are in western VA.......I dont care what VGIF says.. I know of reliable people who had one run 30 plus head for cattle thru 2 board fences in a 2 week period. They (3 people on 2 occasions) actually saw it. I believe!! I believe!!

Max

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I'm there with you Max. I have seen a cougar track in Bland County and one of the officers where I worked (arsenel) saw one in the Dublin area. Speaking to a VDGIF employee the next day and showing him where the cougar was he said it was a feral cat :roll: .

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Yep,, there is cougar in them there hills, black ones too, seen 'em, talked with a logger who seen game officals releasing them some years back

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:52 am
King of Spring

I don't know, with all the game camera's out there, you'd think if there were any cougars in VA some photos might turn up.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Makes me laugh that people won't believe the professionals yet will believe the person that they meet at the local game check. No doubt that there are some cougars out there but most likely they are captive animals that have escaped or were released by hobbyist.

Makes me laugh that people won't believe the professionals yet will take the word of the person that they meet at the local game check as gospel. No doubt that there are some cougars out there but most likely they are captive animals that have escaped or were released by hobbyist.

If there really was a breeding population I think we would see a few popup on the side of highways and roads.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:37 pm
2 Year Old

i believe,i believe.just like big foot :shock: ., they are out there.
seriously,there are a few in va.i do belive that.as far as someone getting one on film with a game cam,thats not as easy as it sounds,i know guys in the pacific north west were cougars are abundant and they may only get one or two pics a year.i have bobcats on our property but in two years ive never got one pic of one,i know they are there ive heard their sqwalls at night :shock: ....or was that big foot i heard ..... :shock:

Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:03 pm
What really makes me laugh is how much trust some people put in so called " officals" to show them the way, to be there guiding light, to assure they can sleep safe and sound at night, kinda sorta somewhat like a resent trip to africa, lmao its for your best interest, research, I guess some people have to ,,,,,o'well

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:54 pm
Boss Gobbler

I have posted one source of the VDGIF reporting cougar sightings at least once before on this forum, I'll post it again :wink:

Quote:
Virginia Game Department personnel reported cougar sightings in southwest Virginia in 1995.
-1997, Report on Min. Lion Sightings by John Houben, Wildlife Biol., USDA Blacksburg, VA 24060

I foudn the above information, plus remember reading something in the paper about it years ago at this page....

LIVING WITH COUGARS IN THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS

http://www.patc.net/resources/florafauna/cougar.html

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Sure they're in Va just ask the VDGIF about the 8 pair that they turned loose in the state.I know a teen that saw one about a month ago one night coonhunting in Wise county.

540-286-6920

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW