View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:34 am

For the second day in a row... 
Longbeard

Post For the second day in a row...
We had a great no kill hunt. We heard plenty of gobbling from a good distance away and this is what I wanted. I watch these birds from work and pretty well knew what they would do id they were roosted there. Knowing it might be a couple of hours wait, we made ourselves comfortable. At 9:10 I it the box call and a hen was yelping close by in about 30 seconds. I told Michael to get ready. Couple minutes later I saw turkeys coming down the ridge towards the field about 60 yards away from us.I had the "newly hooked youth" with us as an onlooker. He was kinda laying down and raised up and looked at me as if to say, Do you see them?" Boy was I wrong. The hens didn't see him move, but did jump off the bank and flew to the field and started picking. Five more hens were coming from the other side of us clucking and aggressive purrring, I think at the time at our decoys. They finally merged with the other hens and it was on. About 15 minutes of chasing, kicking, pecking, flogging, and plenty of aggressive noise. Saw hens strutting at least three times during the malay. After it ended, the last hen to leave stood and yelped at our decoys from 50-75 times. She yelped 15 straight yelps in one sequence. Strangely enough, all this loud female gibberish produced not one single gobble. 10-15 minutes after fight was over, a single jake did finally show up.

As for the non shooting young man that was with us, he looked at me when the hens were less than 50 yards from him, but had no idea they were there. He promptly laid his little head back down, went back to sleep, and missed the entire show.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:21 pm