View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:23 am

The next big thing. 
King of Spring

Post The next big thing.
I thought that since I'm stuck in Central WV and am not out chasing birds in GA or SC or AL that I'd pose a question. I was wondering what everyone thinks will be the "next big thing" to grace our wonderful sport. It seems the sport is constantly evolving with new and improved ideas, calls, guns, chokes, loads, decoys, camo, tactics, etc. Those who have hunted a long time have seen the days of finding a good spot, building a blind, calling 3 short, quiet notes every half hour or 45 minutes to runnin' and gunnin' sometimes in numerous counties in one morning. The "old school" philosophy still works and has it's place, but turkey hunting today is different today than it was 15 years ago when I started hunting them, let alone back in the 40's or 50's. I guess the biggest change recently has been the introduction of heavier-than-lead type loads. Look how much that has shaken things up in the last few years. What do you all think will be the next thing that comes along that shakes things up like these new loads have shaken things up recently?
Browtine

Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:07 pm
King of Spring

How about a rule that says you have to kiss that big gobbler on the beak before you shoot him? What do you think? Think it could catch on?

Seriously though, no clue what it might be, but I look forward to anything that enhances our sport!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:39 am
Longbeard

I don't have a clue, but one thing for sure, there will be new products out that make turkey hunting almost Fool Proof. Being from the old school, I'll be using my old Lynch Fool Proof again this season. :lol: Don't get me wrong, I have most of the new stuff out,but I seem to use my old things once the hunt begins.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:40 pm
King of Spring

I know what you mean SB, I always seem to fall back on tried and true. When fishing for example, I seem to fall back on a chartruse spinner bait, a red plastic worm, and a blue and crome rattletrap. Same with Turkey hunting. Primos Power Crystal, and Primos HeartBreaker box call. If it ain't broke don't fix it mentality I guess! :wink:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:48 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I suspect the next new high selling innnovations might be in decoys that have electronic calls built in to them...some states already allow electronic calls...combine and elctronic call with a motion decoy...yuk...it would be a long long way from the call once every hour approach from the old days...and not necessarily a steop in the right dierection if you ask me...we already have guns and chokes that shoot like ,well, you know they can shoot a killing shotgun pattern out there a long way...

Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:55 am