View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:37 pm

New in VA 
Poult

Post New in VA
I am in the Navy and new to VA. I am looking for a wma with turkeys. I am going to take my nine year old out this spring. It is time for him to get the bug. I live and Suffolk and don't mind driving to see the Tom's.

Thanks and happy hunting to all.

Zero effect arrow rest
Tropthy ridge Sight
Golden Tip arrows
Muzzy broad heads

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:28 am
Boss Gobbler

We've got several folks on here from your part of the world so they might be able to provide some advice. If you are willing to drive there is a ton of National Forest in Western VA... go to the homepage (http://www.vaturkey.com) and there is a link on the lefthand side for National Forest Info that can get you started. I know there are some places down your way closer with birds though. You might also check out the VDGIF website for some WMA information - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/index.asp

Good luck and great to hear you are getting a youngster out there with you! Keep us posted and should you have anymore questions fire away!

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Post Thanks
Thanks for your welcome and response. I will keep everyone informed on our progress this spring.

Happy hunting to all.

Zero effect arrow rest
Tropthy ridge Sight
Golden Tip arrows
Muzzy broad heads

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:16 pm
King of Spring

Outback, Welcome to the area . My name is Tim and I live in Chesapeake . I hunt the WMA area in James City County. The name of the place is Chickohomy. Only troulble with this place is it's hunted hard the first two weekends. Lots of hunters and you have to get there very early. No later than 4:00. I like to go over on Friday night and camp out. Beat the morning rush. I've only taken 1 bird in 7 years ...so my record is not that good. I'm limited on time in the spring with softball and baseball. But they are only young for so long. Thats what my wife keeps saying. There are a couple many WMA in this area , but I've never hunted them. I think there is one in Surry, Hog Island. I started taking my 10 year old last year , he's hooked. Are you on the Naval Base in Norfolk. I work for the Fire dept. at Sewells Point. Good Luck!

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:47 pm
King of Spring

I too live in the Tidewater area, Hampton to be exact, Chicahominy WMA is a great place to hunt. I have hunted there for two years (a few times), I have seen some big birds, both in the field and also at the local check station.
Tim is right about the first couple of weekends, it is standing room only! If you can hunt mid week, you will have a much greater chance at a bird, and a lot fewer people to contend with.

Ron

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:13 pm
Poult

Post New in VA
Hi Tim. Thanks for your response I am doing some deer hunt at Chickahominy this year. I work at Oceana and I have limited time in April also with kids sports. Maybe we can hook up one time and get a couple of Tom's. I seen some feathers and heard some turkey's last week but I was in stand till dark.

Good luck and happy hunting to all.

Zero effect arrow rest
Tropthy ridge Sight
Golden Tip arrows
Muzzy broad heads

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:14 pm
Boss Gobbler

Hello Outbacker and welcome to the board! :D

What's your rate in the Navy? I started life as a BU and somehow ended up as a SH before it was over with :roll: :P

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Poult

Post New in VA
My rate is ADCS.

Zero effect arrow rest
Tropthy ridge Sight
Golden Tip arrows
Muzzy broad heads

Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:02 am