View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:40 am

Shotgun Recoil & eye injuries 
Poult

Post Shotgun Recoil & eye injuries
I've read with interest lately all the post on patterning your shotgun and the attempt to find just the right combination. I few posts have mentioned how these guns kick and the need for recoil pads. I recently read an interesting article that may shed some more light on the possible side effects of that recoil. In the February 2005 issue of The Progressive Farmer they have a section dedicated to the rural sportsman. They had an article titled "Recoil from turkey shotshells may hurt your eyes". While I'm sure no one wants me to retype the whole article, the following is my best summary.
Author J. Wayne Fears was interested in how the recoil from our turkey loads compared to high-powered rifle recoil. The results were shocking in that a 3 1/2 inch 12gauge kicks almost three times as hard as a .30-06. While there is insufficient data to prove anything many believe this as led to a number of detached or torn retinas. Bob Brister(Field and Stream) and Grits Gresham (Sports Afield) have both suffered torn retinas. Bob believes that if a shooter has a propensity toward retina problems(including near-sightedness, diabetes or just being over 50)and is subjected to the shock of recoil, he's a candidate for retina problems. Suggestions were to shoot a recoil-reduced shotgun, lower recoil turkey loads, or install a recoil-reducing pads such as the Limbsaver. I will list a few of the recoil comparisons for your consideration.
Shotshell/ Cartridge Free Recoil Energy(foot-pounds)
12ga., 3 1/2in., 2 1/4oz. load 61.45
12ga., 3in., 2oz load 47.77
12ga., 2 3/4in., 1 5/8 oz. load 40.64
.30-06, 180 gr. bullet 21.44
.270 Win., 150gr. bullet 18.12
.375 H & H Mag., 300gr. bullet 47.84

Of course we don't know the types of guns used or the brands of ammo. Regardless, I thought the information was interesting and may shed some light on to why we sometimes say that gun kicks like a mule. The physical punishment to our shoulder may not be the only damage we are doing. Of course it would also be interesting to know how much these people shot before retinal injury occured. Nevertheless I provide this information for your consideration and to remind us it never hurts to take extra precautions to protect ourselves. I apologize for the length of this post but SportsMedicine education got the best of me as I considered the impact on our physical health.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:03 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

INteresting stuff....I may give it up....:>)

Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:10 pm
Longbeard

Very good post! I have never been fond of heavy recoil.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:38 pm
King of Spring

I know one gun that kicks for sure. My Mossberg 835 with 31/2" Winchester HV #5's and #6's. Kick like a Missouri mule! But I tell the truth, when I tell you that as I dropped the hammer on my first wild turkey, I never felt a thing! :lol:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:41 pm
King of Spring

I guess if a football player can sacrafice his body for the name of the game, I'll do my part in the turkey woods!

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:15 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Interesting post Dixie. Makes you think about all of those times at the range.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:40 pm
2 Year Old

i also shoot a mossberg 835 using 3 1/2"winchester HV#5's,and it does hammer me-when im not shooting at a turkey.when i am shooting at a turkey,i barley feel the recoil...i always thought this was strange!!

Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:08 pm
Profile YIM