View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

coyotes-are they a friend or foe to turkeys? 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post coyotes-are they a friend or foe to turkeys?
Like many of you I have had a long held opinion that coyotes were a real predator on turkeys;the fewer coyotes, the better it woudl be for turkeys polulation growth. I had lunch just now with a fellow who is one of the leading biologists for large mammals in appalachia; he knows more about southeastern black bears than about anybody. I raised the issue of coyotes in a discussion on grouse and turkey populations, and he pointed out that many biologists think there is merit to the theory that coyotes actually are a "backhanded " asset to the turkey population because the coyotes kill so many fox, skunks, coons, ferral cats and other small furbearing predaotors which are more of a threat to the turkeys/grouse than are the coyotes themselves. It isthe small mammlasthat they say take out entire nests, as opposed to one turkey at a time. This theory sort of says the coyote has replaced the "mantrapper " as a population-controller of many small furbearers and when man stopped trapping those critters the coyotes predation is about the only control on them. Now some might say do away with all of them, coyotes and fox and skunk etc. But if there is merit to this coyote as "friend" theory, then maybe hunting coyotes is not as good for yoru turkeys as you might think? Ia m just passing his one on for some of you to think about, and I do not k`now the answer here ...

Last edited by Gobblenow on Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:10 pm
Boss Gobbler

Well I agree that coyotes play heck on the fox population. I'm sure they are also hard on the other egg suckers. If you have an area high in coyote population the fox sign disappears. I don't think they hurt the bobcats much though. That would leave two very deadly predators after the turkeys and grouse still, not counting the egg theiving snakes and poult grabbing hawks.

I don't see the yotes as a friend, just another predator, one that doesn't belong in my mountains :lol:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Interesting thought for sure. They do for sure put a dent in the foxes. I will agree that they may cut down on the egg suckers, however I think they eat plenty of Poults as well. Gives you a different twist on it. Cant say as it will stop me from killing or trying to kill yotes though...foxes and bobcats too!

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:16 pm
King of Spring

I've heard that too. Theory is sound I think. If a coyote responded to turkey calls I'd say he needs to go for sure. Less nest predators is a definite + but the biggest may well be the haybine anyway. Greatest predator of grouse is probably still the owl but reduction of skunk fox and coon would help all small game/turkey I'd say.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:28 pm
2 Year Old

Since I can't outyote a yote anyway, I will use it as a good excuse for not killing them.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:05 pm
Boss Gobbler

I've always treated it as a wash. Hunted several places where there were a lot more yotes than we have here, and they still had plenty turkeys. I'll still shoot one though... :)

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

gobblenow, great point, i never really thought about it. but you made some good points.

i dont know how anyone can say that the coyote does not belong in their woods. i love predators, the coyote is a great surviver. i used to have them come in fairly regularly, while i was calling for turkeys, when i lived in illinois, and while bowhunting in the fall, i could hear as many as 30 howling as i walked back to my truck in the dark. i have called in 3 here in the last 2 years in md.

my 3 favorite sounds of the woods are the turkeys gobble, the barred owl, and the coyote. and now since gobblenow brought this up, i have one more reason to root for them.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:27 pm
King of Spring

The wash analogy is a good one. I believe nature kind of follows the laws of supply and demand. The predator/prey relationships remain relatively stable over time with a natural check and balance system. The species of predator may fluctuate but as long as there are tasty things around, i.e. eggs, poults and even foxes, there will be a balanced number of predators to gobble them up. IMHO. With that being said, the coyote is one heckuva predator. Kind of the locust of the mammal world.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:04 pm
Boss Gobbler

I don't know, I find it quite easy to say they don't belong here. I to like predators but the coyote isn't a "natural" predator for my area. I remember back in the 80's when we first started to see them, people thought you were crazy :lol: I do like the red foxes and grey foxes, just wished they ate more squirrel and less turkey and grouse :wink:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
I can't say the coyote is a blessing to the turkey population. They are predators.....eating machines. Even if they eat the other egg sucking turkey killing smaller predators it's because they want it all for their selves. They've also took out a lot of other game rabbits, quail, deer, foxes ect.
I'm just not going to call them a "friend" to the turkeys just yet!
I'm sure the good Lord put them here for a reason but I just haven't figured it out yet.
GS...

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:10 pm
Boss Gobbler

I'm sure the good Lord put them here for a reason but I just haven't figured it out yet.
GS...

For something to hunt between regular hunting seasons :lol:

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I don't know about the science behind it, but I do know where I currently live in KY, there are loads of coyotes -I hear them every night- and there are loads of turkeys....so they don't wipe them out.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

With a little help, Mother Nature can take take care of her own.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:08 pm
Longbeard

Me and my son are yote hunting in the morning in our favorite turkey hunting area. I let him read this and he decided we would just stay in bed in the morning. He has changed his mind again though.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:46 pm