View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:55 am

Last week of the season 
King of Spring

Post Last week of the season
I haven't been able to post b/c of computer problems but back on now. The last week of season for me had its ups and downs. We got one in around 50-60 yds but he just wouldnt come no closer so moved around on hime and got him fired back up but he just wouldn't give us a shot. Then Shane tagged out on Friday with another kill by himself. This bird weighed 20 lbs, 1 in spurs, 7 inch beard but he said it had a full fan and i know b/c we have this one on video before season. The last day me and Shane ( he was just coming along for good luck) done a quick hunt but no luck. We then came home to mow and Dad called and said one was gobbling so after him we went.We started up a hill and when we came to the top were we could see over there he was in full strut around 50 yds. We hit the ground quickly and made up a game plan. I gave some soft yelps but no respond. After laying on the ground for 15-20 min i decided to belly crawl up and see what was going on. Then a hen came running up and sshe sit down on the ground for 5 min or so then took off running back down the hill. I knew he was some were close so gave a few clucks and no respond but Shane started nudging me and said there he comes and sure enough there he was in full strut. He came in around 40-45 yds but no further. I told Shane the next time he turned around i was going to cutt to get him out of strut but no luck he was determine to stay in strut. After 5 min of watching him i decided to take a shot and when i shot he hit the ground flopping.Shane was excited saying We Got him Dad!! But when i finally able to get up from my leg gone to sleep and neck killing me i saw the bird getting up. I then told Shane to run him and step on his head but the bird got in the air and flew over in a thicket. I knew that the chance of finding him was slim but we looked for him but no luck. Man was i upset first of all I know never to shoot one in strut but just got caught up in the moment. I also told Shane Never ever celebrate until you have the turkey in your hands. Something else the reason he stayed out there strutting he had at least 8-10 hens with him amazing for the last day!

Doug

Mon May 15, 2006 9:08 pm