View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:53 am

Another Quiet One 
King of Spring

Post Another Quiet One
This morning was awfully quiet again . . . I thought that with the sun burning off the morning fog, a tom or two was bound to say something.

Nope. Looks like things have rapidly ground to a halt in my neck of the woods. :(

The morning wasn't all a bore though--it never is, is it? A doe scented my back-trail and pounded up the ridge I was sitting on. She stopped 15 yards away panting, mouth open, chest heaving, steam clouds of breath drifting through the cool morning air. She was VERY jumpy, but never knew I was there (well, never knew I was RIGHT there).

Wed May 10, 2006 11:44 am
Longbeard

peacemaker....are you hunting in campbell?....what part are you hunting ie. rustburg, brookneal, evington, concord area?.....i live in concord and hunt evington and rustburg areas and the birds have actually gobbled pretty good this week......but its not like it was a week ago.......

Wed May 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Longbeard

Keep after them! I took a youth hunting this morning and we heard 2 on an adjacent property, they would hammer away, but a ravine and creek to cross was asking to much of them!

Wed May 10, 2006 2:57 pm
Longbeard

Ever since April the 22nd the birds where I have been hunting have been very quiet. Not saying much of anything. Only one bird spoke since and not enough for me to pin point his location. I'm taking an 88 year old this weekend and I sure hope the luck changes with the location move. I've taken him a few times in the early season. We had excellent luck early on except his aim was off. I really hope we can get something worked out. Wish us luck.....

Fri May 12, 2006 2:19 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW