View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:08 pm

Fall Turkey's 
King of Spring

Post Fall Turkey's
Looks like I may be headed to Nebraska for an upland bird hunting trip in Nov. The area I'm headed towards is full of turkeys (per the game warden I talked to) and turkey tags are available over the counter. Would like opinions on whether fall hunting in the western states is equal to fall hunting in Virginia (if anybody has tried it).

I've had some great time in Va chasing after them in the fall and breaking them up and calling them back in. Just wondering if it would be as much fun out west where the flock sizes can run into the hundreds :shock:

Also, are fall gobblers considered part of a grand slam, or does that only apply to spring gobblers? Thanks folks.

Tue May 23, 2006 6:49 am
King of Spring

I have never hunted in Nebraska but would think hunting birds in the fall would be fun. Would be the same as hunting them in VA, probably not. However, it would be a new adventure and that is always good. I would bet it might teach you new tactics you can bring home to VA and that is always good. Hope you have a great time.

Vic

Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 am
King of Spring

Post fall turkeys
Two friends of mine fall hunted in Kansas a couple years back.
They found huge flocks, some with as many as 100 birds - estimated.
They had a blast.
You may find the same.

barry

Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 pm
Boss Gobbler

I have never hunted out west, but it sounds like fun; go for it! :D

As to the slam question... If I recall you only have to kill a bird of each subspecies to qualify for a "NWTF Slam". So a fall gobbler or hen would work for an "offical" slam.

With that said. If I ever go for a Slam it won't be official, just a Slam for me. So a fall gobbler would rank for me :D Heck a fall gobbler can be harder then a spring one anyway.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue May 23, 2006 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Tut, if I were counting, I'd most definitely count fall toms in a slam!! They're even tougher to kill than spring birds! As for the NWTF's view, I don't know.

Are you using dogs? Taking your own or using ones there? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences with them.

Good luck out there! Take plenty of pictures and be prepared to tell us all about it when you return! :)

Tue May 23, 2006 11:37 pm
King of Spring

Post taking the hounds
I've got a field breed golden retriever (Abby) who has been out west twice before, to Mt and Nd. Had a great time. My hunting partners have Springer Spaniels out of Maine Grouse Hunting stock. This will be our third trip out west hunting.

Decided on Nebraska as it is closer then Mt by some 10 hours of driving and it also provides the chance to hunt prarie grouse, which would be both Prarie Chickens and Sharptail Grouse. Throw in a few quail and some pheasants and you have the makings of a pretty good hunt (Hopefully). I discovered on previous trips out west that weather is the absolute wild card. We hunted in Shirt Sleeves one day and the next day in snow and 25 MPH winds. When the cold winds come in from the north things can chance in a hurry.

Regarding turkeys, spoke with the game warden out that way while doing my research on upland birds in that area and he said turkeys were almost in the pest category. Said he had personally seen flocks in the 300 hundred range. Hard to believe.

Wed May 24, 2006 6:17 am
King of Spring

I've heard of this before, but thought it was an extreme rarity. Wow. And Nebraska has a fall turkey season? I guess they'd have to if their turkey numbers are that high!!

Hey, anyone up for a turkey hunting trip to Nebraska?

I wonder if there just aren't many turkey hunters out there. Maybe all the other upland bird hunting opportunities outweigh the turkey hunting opportunities for the locals?

Wed May 24, 2006 8:34 am