View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:30 am

Double Cluck 
King of Spring

Post Double Cluck
I went hunting this past Saturday and had a couple birds working well. Can't just seem to get my cousin to sit still long enough to close the deal. You would think at 50 he would be able to stay still but he moved twice and scared off birds. I think the problem is the woods are starting to thicken up well and he thinks the birds are further away than they are. The first time he was aiming towards the field and I wanted him to move around the tree to view into the woods. He stood up and got busted. The next time he just made hand gestures that spooked the birds. Question, when the woods are as they are now, how far can you hear a bird? My ears aren't what they were, but I think when you can barely hear a bird they are 250 or so yards away. What do you all think?

Also, I had a hen behind me and changed from my Box to a power crystal. I may have made an errant call and all the sudden the hen, who had been there for 20 minutes or so, raised her head and started to double cluck back into the woods from the meadow. Her head was bobbing fore and aft as she walked into the woods. Did I hit a note that scared her? Maybe I hit a double putt and this triggered her to leave? Haven't seen this behavior before so wanted some input. She came back out after a few minutes but it was kind of funny. Thanks to all in advance.

Vic

Tue May 09, 2006 10:30 am
King of Spring

I won't speak to your questions, but at 50, I know how hard it is for me to sit completely still for long periods. One thing that can help you is a portable blind. No, not the kind you get inside of. The one I use is about 30" tall with 6 or 8 foldable spring corded legs. it is only about 15 or 16 inches long folded. It rolls up and comes with a little strap to wrap around it This doesn't help with head movement or standing up, but allows a fair amount of movement below the chest level. I can easily lay down and pick up calls with no notice at all! Bass Pro has them, and I imagine cabela's would also. Just a tip from an arthritic old man. :)

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue May 09, 2006 12:06 pm
King of Spring

Guess I should clarify, I don't mean shifting your weight and such, I do that, but when you stand up and walk 10 feet and sit down again when a bird is 75+ yards out. The second time he was making hand signals to me when another bird is about the same distance away. That might not be so bad but he was doing it shoulder high. I was the designated caller. Since that was the plan, let me do the calling and such. Extra movement just isn't necessary. He has never gotten a bird so I am just trying to get him one.

How do you tell a senior hunting partner he needs to sit more quietly? I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Vic

Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 pm
King of Spring

Vic, maybe ask him why he thinks he has not been successful in tagging a bird. Sometimes, being a good listener is the best way to teach someone something. And remember, it should be more about the experience than the kill. Getting a gobbler in range is a successful hunt, kill or no kill. Clearly you understand that any unnecessary motion is, well, unnecessary. Everything is relative to one's point of view.

Tue May 09, 2006 4:17 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

How do you tell a senior hunting partner he needs to sit more quietly? I don't want to hurt his feelings.

If he's never killed a turkey and you have, I imagine it would be safe for you to simply take a more assertive role during the hunt--making executive decisions about when to move and telling him to sit down when he tries to stand up when a turkey is 75 yards away!! An experienced turkey hunter knows how amazing the turkey's vision is. For someone who is not familiar with the absurd eyesight of this remarkable animal, it may seem overly cautious to limit movement that much.

I would make some light-hearted jokes about his hyper-activity on the way to the hunt. Humor will usually open up the door to at least have a conversation. I tried this with a new hunting partner this year under similar circumstances. It didn't work. :lol:

Apart from that, sometimes the hunt is more about a friend than a bird. :wink:

Tue May 09, 2006 11:38 pm
King of Spring

You make some great comments. Usually when I hunt with my cousin I never get to fire a shot, deer, ducks, geese, don't matter. So I guess I should resolve myself to enjoying his company. That does mean as much as getting a bird, but I still want to be successful though.

In a similar situation, a buddy of mine goes to PA every year for a week to hunt turkeys with his dad and brother. He was telling me how angry his father makes him by not being prepared to hunt and not doing the things you need to do to get a bird. I told him that his father doesn't hunt to get a bird, but to spend time with his son who he only gets to see a time or two a year.

Guess I ought to listen to myself sometimes.

Vic

Wed May 10, 2006 7:43 am