View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:33 am

Diary Update... 
Boss Gobbler

Post Diary Update...
Wow... I've really fallen behind in my updates... I finally updated my diary through yesterday... http://vaturkey.com/sp06diary.htm

Here's the additions...

April 21

Same friend was in again this AM. Hunted a bird this AM that has gobbled sporadically during the season but I was able to roost him yesterday afternoon. We slipped in early and setup on the edge of a field 100 yards from where he was roosted. Long story short... he flew down to us but over our head and landed behind us. He slipped right in to us on the right at 20 yards and being a right hand shooter he couldn't get his gun around on him. He finally got started around but the bird knew something was up and headed out of sight giving us a courtesy gobble on the way.

April 22

Same friend and it was pouring rain... we actually heard a couple birds gobble in the rain on the roost but nothing on the ground. We managed to call in a hen real close and that was a joy to watch.

April 24

Amy and I headed out this AM with her toting the camera and me the gun. We didn't hear any gobbling at daylight but after moving a hundred yards or so we struck a bird(s). They answered my first set of yelps and second set of yelps were closer. My next several series of calls were unanswered and I had my gun at the ready facing a logging road where I thought the birds would approach... Nope! 5 minutes passes without another gobbler when I catch movement from my 10 o'clock. It's 3 longbeards heading my way at 40 yards. With 3 sets of eyes I couldn't get them all behind an object and starting swinging slowly. I was busted and the lead bird walked directly away. The 2nd bird turned to my right and started walking that way... I had an opening and unfortunately he crossed the opening quicker than I anticipated and my shot went through nothing but thin air and the hole where his head was .5 second earlier! A fun hunt... a little disappointing but no big deal.

April 27

This was the beginning of the inner-ear infection week. I heard a bird gobble a few times from the house that evening and decided since I had to be at work early that I would go after him real quick. He was roosted next to a small field and I was unable to get any closer. He gobbled fairly well and I saw him fly down and follow a hen into the field. I was able to make an approach to the field and into shotgun range of the gobbler but didn't want to take him that way. I haven't heard him in there since... figures!

April 29

As some of you know I’ve been suffering from an inner-ear infection and last week was really a struggle with keeping my balance. I’ve seen the Dr. and got some medication but can still feel the effects of the infection.

Anyway… I was feeling pretty crummy and didn’t even think I would be able to hunt but got up early enough and decided that I would be okay just going somewhere that I didn’t have to walk far and would be easy to get in and out of. This would be the first hunt by myself this season and the first time I’ve hunted a Saturday by myself in YEARS.

Amy and I had seen a gobbler using a field several times this season and I decided that since it was easy to get to I would just go there, put out a couple dekes, build a “nestâ€

Last edited by Freddy on Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 10, 2006 10:54 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Diary Update...
Freddy wrote:
Stats to date from my 2006 Spring Gobbler Survey :

73 gobbling turkeys (some are the same turkeys on different days)
26 longbeards called into shotgun range
7 longbeards killed and 2 misses

Gee, I wish you could say you've had a successful season!! :lol:

Wed May 10, 2006 11:30 am