View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:28 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Turkey Hunting and Rifles what do you think?? 
Poult

Post Turkey Hunting and Rifles what do you think??
I hunt with a 22-250 in the spring. I have got alot of criticism for this. What do you other members on here think about turkey hunting with a rifle?? :twisted:

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:25 pm
Longbeard

vahunter - First of all welcome to the board!!!!!

As to your question...

Don't like them... not one bit. However, I not one to tell anyone they can't do something if it's within the law.

Also, here in PA the game commission tends to pit one group of hunters against another and I can see how in VA you could get a battle going between the shotgun hunters and the rifle hunters.

The reason I don't like them is because everyone out there is not identifying their target as a gobbler as they should and I feel like a rifle increases the odds one someone getting shot by mistake. I don't hunt the PA fall season because you can shoot both hens and gobblers so you don't have to look as close as you do in the spring. Adding a rifle into the mix just plain scares me.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:48 pm
King of Spring

First thing....Notice the login is vahunter,not vabirdhunter :wink:
Hunter you will find why I did that soon.

I not a fan of rifle hunting for turkeys. I think it's the trill of getting the bird close that does it for me.

You will find alot of folks on here feel the same.
This has been brought up a few time before and some heated decussion
have followed.

But most of it is just friendly opinions.

Good luck with this one
Tim(vabirdhunter!!!!)

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm
King of Spring

Regardless of what we think of the issue you raised, the inflamatory nature of your very FIRST post is suspect. If you sincerely want opinions on how to become a turkey hunter, I suggest you begin here on better footing. If you just want to stir up trouble, you will need to go somewhere else.

I urge other board members to resist responding to this thread. It has been covered extensively in past posts available in the archives. 2 cts.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:18 pm
Boss Gobbler

VAhuntr if you would like some info on good hunting stick around. If you are here to stir things up, go elsewhere. This topic has been covered and considered legal in the state. However, everyone has an opinion. If you would like to see the opinions look at the old posts from every year past and you will see them. Thanks for posting.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:43 pm
King of Spring

Dittos on what Big Bird & Hody said. Gobbler hunting is meant to be a close encounter. Not a bushwack from 100 plus yards away. THis is a good bunch of guys.. but rifles in the spring season is a VERY touchy subject among most of us.

Max

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

agree very much with what everyone else has said.
welcome to the board...we appreciate hunters/sportsman that are passionate about this sport.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:11 pm
King of Spring

Post Even though legal, no way
This has got to be a troll. Many years ago I killed a gobbler during the fall with a muzzleloader. Very legal. Also many years ago I killed a gobbler in Texas with a rifle during the fall. Also very legal. Looking back now many years later I wonder how much fun I would have experienced by hunting those same birds during the spring. Legal doesn't make it sporting in my opinion(IMO). This would be worse then shooting a grouse or pheasant on the ground IMO even though that is certainly legal as well.

The only way I shoot one with a rifle would be if I was truely hunting for food for my family and even then is sure wouldn't taste right. :(

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 pm
Longbeard

first off welcome to the board......secondly im not touching the R word with a 10 foot pole :D id say stick with the shotgun and callem CLOSE! :D

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:20 pm
King of Spring

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:22 pm
King of Spring

Post turkey hunting and rifles what do you think?
And I though I stirred up a bees nest with my "chase season" post.

Turkeys were meant to be dealt with up close and personal, but that's my opinion.

Try it with a shotgun and just feel the adrenaline rush whens he's strutting at 25 yards. You may convert.

barry

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:38 am
King of Spring

Welcome to the site! These guys and gals are the best around and have turkey-wisdom oozing out their pores. You'll find this is a fantastic place to share your hunting experiences and enjoy the benefit of everyone's years of experience.

You might want to walk away from the 'R' issue . . . not the best topic choice for post #1 there, buddy. :wink: Of course it's divisive. But, you knew that. Please hang out, ask some other questions and get to know this great group of folks.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:48 pm
2 Year Old

got nothing against using a rifle as long as it's done safely. My personal preference is call it in close. Makes it very fun and heart pounding when you can actually hear the spitting and the drumming. 70 yards may be close for a rifle, but with a shotgun, that's not close yet. You should try a shotgun hunt, or just don't carry a gun and see how close they will get. You may like it.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Profile YIM
Huntin with a rifle is the same to me as a shot gun...except you have 1 bullet instead of 100's of bbs flyin at your target. The basic sterotype that comes with the word rifle...is riddin around till you see one in a field and then puttin the drop on him...which is true some cases but not always. For those of us who hunt with rifles and do it the exact same way as shotgun hunters are gettin the bad end of this topic, we just choose to use a rifle...which in my opinion is harder than a shotgun, because ur room for error is far less, think about it!!!

It is a controversial subject and everyone has there own opinion, but since i have been huntin i have heard of more shotgun related accident that sometimes were fatal...than i have rifle. Think i ll stick to my 22-250, more challengin for me!!!

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:08 pm

Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:34 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next