View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:16 am

have been playin the game!! 
Longbeard

Post have been playin the game!!
Hey fellas!

i wish i could check this board more than i can this year.. i only have a little bit of time to skim through the board,however, i wanted to give congrats to all those that are scoring and or playin the game! seems to me like alot of yall are haveing a great season!..

my season is going O.K. i havnt taken a bird yet.. and starting to get a little ancy.. i've been out more than i have ever been during spring turkey hunting.. and about half and half.. am i havn any luck.. my farm in franlin county, they have shut down, i dont know what has happened there, and my home in bedford, is not really an ideal place to turkey hunt, my place is where they just go through and finding them is a very difficult task. but i'm still after them! =)

anyways... last friday my safety was off twice and couldnt get the job done! lol.. right at day break i was with a friend from work and we got on one really quick.. and let me tell ya.. this bird came on a string... gobbling what seemed every step he took.. he closed the distance pretty fast and it was just a matter of any second he was gonna appear... or so i thought... anyways i'm waiting for this bird to show his white head or something and all of a sudden.. i see a big big hen fly right out of a tree pretty much from right on top of us.. right to him and took him the opposite way.. weird thing is.. this hen didnt make a sound all morning long.. anyways.. it was fun though.. we tried to make a couple of moves only to get worn out and frustrated.. so we decided to make another move and try and find another one.. we take off and started down the road. we stopped on an old loggin road heading out.. this was about 10:00 a.m .. and we made a couple of calls.. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!!! we jumped out of the truck and sprinted through the woods about 150 yards.. we take a seat.. one or two soft calls.. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE.. this thing was double and triple gobbling at us with every call.. he was also coming on a string.. perfect text book hunt right.. WRONG!!!!.. this turkey was running to us.. and we could hear him coming down this ridge.. and then all of a sudden.. he shut up.. OHH YEAH>. we thought.. safety off.. he's gonna appear any second right!! WRONG.. we called a couple times. and he'd gobble.. way to the left... we adjust.. we'd call again.. and he'd gobble wayyy to our right.. this happened for about 8 min.. what we then realized.. this bird was hung up just out of site on a small.. and i mean small.. dry creek bed.. strutting left to right.. gobbling when he'd make a turn... and the ridge we were on was a perfect funnel to make the sound way off than he was ... welll that was pretty much it.. he stayed there about 10 more min.. just out of site.. we can hear him spitting and drumming. and the sound of wings dragging the leaves.. all this and we cant see him.. ohhh how frustrating. and exciting all at the same time.. anywys.. the next gobble was obviously a long long way away.. the game was over.. and for the morning.. turkeys 2.. us.. 0

anyways.. it was the best morning of hunting 2-date!!

maybe next time!

Tue May 02, 2006 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Keep after them things can change quickly!!!

Doug

Tue May 02, 2006 4:48 pm