View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:35 am

Was Today The Day? 
King of Spring

Post Was Today The Day?
April 21, 2006

Was Today The Day?

I arrived early at the public land eager to hunt a new spot I had scouted last Wednesday. As I stood at the rear of my Tahoe putting on my vest and gathering up my shotgun, decoys, and all the miscellaneous stuff that you carry into the woods that probably ought to stay in the truck!

I listened and I heard a distinct gobble of a tom maybe a half mile or so down the road. Then another gobble several hundred yards off to my left. Then I heard one gobble behind me. He was off of a cut field. The land drops off down to Morris Creek, but he wasn’t very close either.

I listened for a couple of more minutes hoping to hear one in front of me, the area I had scouted. I finally took out my Palmer’s Owl Hoot and gave a good loud call. On the second sequence I heard him. It sounded as if he were a couple of hundred yards away.

I went about securing the truck then slipping into the woods as quietly as I could. I had gone in about 100 to 150 yards and I hit the owl call again. He immediately sounded off with a hearty gobble. I had definitely closed some distance. I guessed he probably wasn’t 100 yards away.

I quickly sized up the area and looked for a good tree to set up on. There was a large oak that was tucked back a little ways from an open area. I set up there putting out my portable blind. I didn’t think I had time for decoys. I was sure he was coming quickly. The area in front of me was fairly open and accessible. I had a good view to my left, which was where he sounded like he was. Next to the open area was a bunch of blown down tree stuff, and under brush. I didn’t have to worry about him coming there. Off to the right was open and behind it, I knew from scouting, that it went down a few hundred feet to a ravine.

At this point I got out my Power Crystal, and my Heartbreaker Box Call. I took the Crystal and struck a few soft sweet notes. The gobbler hammered back to me, but it almost sounded like one of those, Yeah, I know your there courtesy gobbles. He would answer every call I made, but it didn’t sound like he was getting any closer. After a little while I figured, it couldn’t hurt to ramp up the calling a little. I became much more aggressive with my calls. He responded, but this time he was closer. I was thinking he could be no more than 50 or 60 yards away. At his point he seemed to hang up again. He still seemed to be right ahead of me towards the left, just where I figured he would come.

After a few more minutes, and a lot more sweet talking, he came closer, but he was flanking me to my right. I needed to shift or else shoot at him left handed (probably not a good idea)! I quickly changed positions and waited for him to show.

This was truly exciting for me. I have hunted about four or five years and only have one bird to show for it. I was fortunate enough to have “Old Three Toesâ€

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:04 pm
2 Year Old

That sums it up. That is what turkey season is all about. Congrats to you on your events of the day. Thanks for sharing....

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:24 pm
King of Spring

Ron, I fill your pain. I have had that happen before.You think the game is about to be won and the bird score a last second field goal to win the game. I have not hunted over at Chick this year, How are the birds doing and has the hunting pressure slowed down any? I'm thinking about taking a day off this week and go over there. Hang in there,your solo will happen. When it does a want to be able to hear you in Chesapeake!!! :lol:

Good Luck
Tim

Last edited by vabirdhunter on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:21 am
King of Spring

Thanks Tim. The birds have been ok this year. I have heard more this year than I ever have. The pressure is nil. Opening day you usually can't find a place to park. This year I could have counted them on my hands and toes. Now I am seeing maybe 5 or 6 as I travel in and out of the area. Give it a try. I probably will hunt there more this week as well.. See ya round the waterhole!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:30 am
King of Spring

Flat, you are right! You are a turkey hunter and those days are what makes you one. Every expierienced hunter on this board learned it the same way. There's just not any substitute for lessons from old tom. Good Luck!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:57 am
Boss Gobbler

Flat seems like you had a good experience. We have all been busted so you have just learned another critical part of the game. Keep it up you will have that day.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:17 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Everybody burns the biscuits once in a while...it makes you sick, but at leastr you did not have to carry him off he mountain or clean him. That hunt is one where you got everything but a bird to carry home.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:21 am
King of Spring

Ron, pat yourself on the back for a game well played. Remember, only 1 in 5 gobblers that respond to the call and come in are actually killed by hunters. Win is just what you did! You got the full course meal, but ran alittle short on dessert. If you killed every bird that gobbled, well, it just wouldn't be the same. Stay in the game and keep after 'em.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:16 pm
Profile YIM