View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:42 pm

A game of Patience 
King of Spring

Post A game of Patience
After a long morning of not hearing but 4 gobbles, I walked forever doing the run and gun game, no luck. I decided to sit by a field bottom and just wait as long as time permitted. I sat down at 9:53. When I first sat up I made a series of yelps nothing fancy just plain 4-7 cadence yelps. After this I went silent ( I thought the gobblers do this so can I) :D
At 10:35 a lone gobbler moved into the field, he would walk and eat then strut, and move a little closer. He never did get in range about 60 yards out. I did call to him, but he just looked and moved off the way he was heading. I think a decoy would have changed his mind, but maybe next time. I plan to setup before daylight at that field in the AM with decoys, wish me luck. Stay tuned for further details.

Jon[/code]

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:26 pm
2 Year Old

60 yards for me in a field and he's a dead bird. I want them closer, but I can reach out and get them with my turkey extra full choke in my 870.

My first bird this year was about 50 yards away. Good luck to ya. The deeks should help you out in that field.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:03 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

721, I'm w/ you ,60 yds is 20 to far Imho . You keep callin them in close. Good luck!

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:11 pm
King of Spring

Good call on the no shoot. Sixty yards has been proven time and again to be NOT an effective range. Far more birds wounded than killed at that range. I applaud you for keeping it in perspective. Keep after 'em.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I hunt with lead so 60 is out. I would stay inside 40 too. Haven't thought about it before but I guess turkeys do have a 4/7 cadence. Another great tip for the novice like me. Thanks.

Vic

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:27 am
King of Spring

721my limit is 40yds...my gun would kill at 65yds.....you did good to restrain from trying him. the two of you will likely meet again on the battle field. sounds like he was just being a turkey. stay after him and good luck.

Max

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:28 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Well I went out with no luck. I called sporatically with no answer. Not a single gobble all day, Sat looks wet but that will bring them to the field sometimes. I guess I just have to keep tryin. So far score me 1 turkeys 3. :D

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:06 pm
I agree with"most" of you! :shock: I'm sure my gun would kill at 60 yards too. Ive patterned it out to 70 yards just to see what it would do. BUT 40 IS THE LIMIT!!!!!! Why take a chance on wounding him? I killed a beautiful bird yesterday am. He hung up at 45 yards for over 5 minutes(felt like 5 weeks) and I waited him out until he closed into 40. DEAD BIRD!!!!
YOU DID THE RIGHT THING 721-KUDOS TO YOU!
Keep at it, you'll get'em. :wink:

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:13 pm