View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:27 pm

What rain? 
King of Spring

Post What rain?
Awoke to thick fog but not raining so we headed out, had to look out the side window to stay on the road. got to our spot and owled which called in 1 owl and fired up 2-3 more. Heard 1 gobble then 2,3,4,5... you get the picture might have well been sunny. Had to sit where we were . 2 guys, about 5 yds apart 1 watching the corner of the field and 1 watching a little road that comes in there and me up the hill calling.Long story short, First gobbler comes in and walks right between them! Gobbled standing less than 10 feet from either one! I dont know how they didn't lose it right there, 2-3 more steps putt. putt, flush and gone. They were too intent on where they thought he would come to I guess, though he gobbled straight down the hill from where he came.

Ok, so I covered his putts w/ calling we still have 2 more gobbling at 150 yds. 40 min later they're in the field 30 yds from the shooter, but in a dip! He cant see them but they can see the decoys. they gobble a couple more times there then flop,flop flop they flush back down the hill. then the skies opened up we are washed out anyway.

Thats not all, folks. rain stops I call 1 of the guys who lives nearby and we head out after some birds he's fooled with this year. We go in quiet set up and call a while, nothing so I crank it up Loud, nothing then blast a flydown cackle, gobbleobleoble. few more calls 2 longbeards running across the field then 2 more behind them ...4! He takes the second one who was strutting some 19-8 / 10.25 / 3/4.

Three rainy saturdays, three L-beards taken, bring on the rain! Edit: But no lightning please.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:33 pm
2 Year Old

Turkeys don't have an Holiday Inn to go to when it rains. They have to stay out there so we might as well go out there after them. You can't kill them at home....Congrats

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:04 am
Boss Gobbler

Those bad weather days can be magical if you're willing to get after them...

Congrats again and way to stick it out!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:24 pm
Profile WWW