View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:27 am

Has Gobbling slowed down for you 
King of Spring

Post Has Gobbling slowed down for you
Been out this past week, and the gobbling has slowed down a lot. I hunted with the Presedent of the FC NWTF on Friday and we saw two longbeards. They were about 150+ yards off, he would gobble but not move our way. We also had one walk into a field we were working and he just looked at the decoys and moved on over the hill. There were no hens with these birds just wondering what it could be, weather, rain wind etc. Does barametric pressure have any affect on turkey behavior. This morning (4-18-06) I worked a bird to within 70 yards but he stopped at a small river crossing and wouild not budge. I am going in the morning with my friend and we are going to try our luck again. So far the gobbling has slowly decreased. Hope all are having good luck. And congrats to those who have taken a bird. Just remember listen with your eyes and see with your ears. Hit'em hard.

Jon

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:59 pm
King of Spring

Birds are really henned up right now. Get up close and personal with a roosted bird and you'll have a fighting chance.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:07 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:17 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

For me the gobbling is still hot but the old boys are "hen-pecked" pretty good. Try to get in their sweet spot after they hit the ground. I had to get within est. 80 yds of two birds yesterday crawling the last 10 yds or so. The birds finally took the bait and came in. 1 left. Good luck

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 am
King of Spring

Yep, last week I was hearing 7-8 birds all around me. Last night I roosted 3 and 2 of 'em were together. I only heard a couple gobbles this morning on the roost, then nothing after fly down.

Ryan

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:31 pm
King of Spring

I heard two toms this morning . . . one gobbled once, the other gobbled twice on the roost. I watched him walk 100yds below me and totally ignore my calling. Then he gobbled within 50yds!! The next time I heard him, he was on his way out . . . Hens, gotta love 'em! :?

Now, tomorrow morning, I know where I wanna be!! 8) We'll see how it goes . . .

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:15 pm
King of Spring

I will keep hunting them hard, still have a few days of vacation left. Thanks for the input.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm