View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:05 pm

this mornings hunt 
2 Year Old

Post this mornings hunt
Had a great hunt today, though I did not kill anything. It was my first time hunting on this farm, so I didn't really know where to go. I walked for a couple of hours before I got to where all the turkeys were. And then it was fun. Unfortunately, I didn't see any big birds this morning. But it was still great. I called a little guy with about a 4 inch beard up to me and he came almost smacking distance to me and he never saw me. He was so into my decoy that he didn't see me. He struted out in the field for about 10 minutes before a hen came. Once she came, they went off into a bottom. That's the first time I've ever called a gobbler out across a field. But, this is the first time I've ever used a decoy too. I see now why they are so important when hunting around fields. I could have killed the guy, but I'm trying for the long beards. This was clearly a young bird. He was so close, I could see his spurs, and they were like little nubs. :lol:

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:26 pm
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

Congrats on your hunt. One thing is for sure you can't kill big ones if you shoot little ones :wink:

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:31 pm
King of Spring

sounds like a great day of catch and release turkey hunting.
looking forward to more stories from you about the big'un you called across that field.
Good Luck for the remainder of the season.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:33 pm
Band teacher sounds like you had a great hunt. The decoy has definatly helped my field hunting. Good luck finding that limbhanger on your future hunts.

I have a bird located near Brosville Im going to give a try in the morning before work.

I will let you guys know how it goes.
iisabigone

Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:51 pm
King of Spring

Kudos to you for letting the little guy walk. The game is won when you convince a turkey of any nature to come investigate. Congrats on a successful hunt. The big one is just one hunt away!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:11 am
Profile YIM