View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:51 am

Stray Egg Laying in the Woods 
Longbeard

Post Stray Egg Laying in the Woods
Last week while I was hunting with Freddy we found a single egg laying in the woods that was not part of a nest and looked like it had been dropped there by mistake. Freddy thought it may have been from a young hen, however, I was wondering if anyone else has come across stray turkey eggs laying in the woods? The one we found was in perfect condition and did not look like any predators messed with it.

On a side note we also found hatched turtle eggs while we were scouting and we performed surgery on a box turtle that had a large growth on it hoping to give the little guy a chance at surviving. It always amazes me what you come across in the woods whether the turkeys are gobbling or not.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:00 pm
King of Spring

yep - have found these single eggs out in the middle of a pasture and in open woods with no sign of nest anywhere near. juvenile hen most likely...they've got all the plumbing to conceive and lay the eggs..unfortunately, most of 'em don't have the nesting/brood rearing instinct in their first spring.

these young ladies are around for us just to increase the degree of difficulty....
:wink:

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm
King of Spring

Found one laying in a small drainage last year. It was all there but broken. We had heard something run off just prior to finding it and surmized we had scared a predator taking it to young somewhere.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:02 pm
King of Spring

I think they drop the eggs just so they can go back and get bred again......harlots!!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:23 am