View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 am

Miss #2 
Post Miss #2
Hello all fellow turkey hunters, hope your adventures in the great outdoors is going well. Welp I got off work this morning at 7a.m. after working 12 hrs and drove my way up to my familys land by 7:45. I got out of the truck and got all that heavy gear on one more time, so I started up the hill to where some hardwoods and thickets meet a big field. I got about 100yrds from where I wanted to start calling but by the grace of the turkey gods one sounded off on his own. So I hurried up to a spot my father and I had cleared out and then I saw him strutting about 300yrds out in the field and to my surprise there were 3 jakes and another adult tom standing with him. I hurried up and set up my camcorder so I could try to film a hunt for the first time, I got my butt settled and when I looked back up to my surprise they had started to head my way. I made a few mouth calls and they answered each one I made so I shut up a second and here came the one that was strutting, but thats when I made to biggest mistake I have ever made in the past 4yrs I have been hunting turkeys I misjudged the distance and missed, he started to run off and I tried another shot and missed again and all I could do is watch him fly off into the security of the woods. So I stood up and I saw the other four just out of reach as well and all I could do is watch them run off back across the field from which they had come from. I hope to get another try again in the morning and control my gobbling fever. So to all of you that have bagged a tom congrats and to all of us that have not, good luck and just have fun enjoying the great outdoors. :D

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:48 pm