View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:57 am

do I have enough gun 
Poult

Post do I have enough gun
Im looking to get into some turkey hunting, but the only shotgun I own is an ol' H & R 20 ga. single shot. is this going to be enough gun for some beginning turkey hunting? will I be ok using a single-shot gun? i dont want to be too much of a cheapskate, but would be nice if i could make this gun work. thanks.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 pm
King of Spring

You'll need to pattern it. I'm assuming it's a fixed choke. You'll be better off if it's full to shoot a tight pattern. Anyway, no matter what the choke is you should get a few boxes of 20 gauge turkey loads and try them out and find out how far your maximum range is that you can shoot a tight enough pattern to comfortably kill a turkey. I'm sure you'll be able to get a decent pattern at least out to 20 yards or so. A 20 gauge is plenty of gun to kill a turkey and you'll just need to figure out its capabilities.

Ryan

Last edited by HokieGobbler on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:12 pm
Longbeard

I agree with HokieGobbler, and chances are you will only get one shot.If you do need a finishing shot, have the shell where you can get to it fast. If you have time on your setup, you should step off the distance you can shoot, or buy a rangefinder.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:56 pm
Longbeard

I agree. My father is 75 and still hunts with a single-shot 20 ga. It is an awesome turkey gun with a tight pattern. He likes it because it doesn't kick as much as his 12 ga. I've seen him win a bunch of turkeys at turkey shoots where you have to shoot the shell they give you.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:15 am