View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:23 am

Hunting Rappahanock county 
Post Hunting Rappahanock county
I got an invitation from a friend who does not turkey hunt to hunt his farm in Rappahanock and clarke counties. does anybody know about hunting these areas of the state I appreaciate any help I can get!
thanks

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:53 pm
King of Spring

I hunt rappahannock county, only 100 acres that is a family farm but it's great, good number of birds, missed one twice saturday :cry: and fooled with another this morning before he got with hens, lots and lots of deer, some good size bucks, and a good number of bear depending on where you are in the county. there used to be more turkeys but it's beginning to be an area where the money from dc area is coming in to live and build, not much besides squirrels as far as small game goes, some rabbits not enough to feed a pack of beagles all year though, a sporadic grouse, convey of quail few and far between. As far as the turkeys they are just about right, right now, especially the toms that arent getting to breed, the breeders are doing alot of gobbling on the roost but not much after flydownthey, the ones not getting the hens attention aren't real talkative so you might find a little cold calling in one area for a while will be productive if you get one's attention they will come from a long ways off so obey the fences you can call em across, plus i dont want you to shoot all of em :D. In my book you'll have to look long and hard to find a prettier place on earth, so regardless of your success it's definitely worth going to check out his farm, and if you need someone to call let me know. Lots of folks around there think it's there God given right just to go wherever they want so be safe using decoys. It's nice to find a "friend" that dosn't hunt but will give you access, so enjoy it, rappahannock is hard to beat.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:57 pm