View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm

where do they go? 
Longbeard

Post where do they go?
I've been hunting turkeys for nearly forty years and I've never been able to figure out where our turkeys go in the winter. It seems that in late December EVERY year we have our turkeys leave our 1000-2000 acre area of mounainous terrain in Frederick Co. Va. regardless of the food availability. Our mts. have the normal NWES sides to them (thick on the E sides and more open on the W side) so there's plenty of cover and quite a variety of feed (acorns to grapes, briar berries, dogwood berries, and, yes, corn from feeders we keep filled throughout the winter for deer and turkeys). But when there's snow to use for tracking during the winter we see the normal deer, coyote, squirrel and etc. tracks but NO turkey tracks. They're GONE! But thankfully they return by Spring. ANY IDEAS!

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:47 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Welcome to the site btw....we nee more old peopel like us around here ...I have wonderedthe same thiong for years. In east TENN I thnk they end up in huge flocks on big bottomland areas around cattle or tilled agriculture, some are in subdivisons, others are along interstates, and teh main thing is theygo to lower elevations where the winds and cold are buffered a bit I think...somehow nature gets them bacjk to those north hollows in the spring though.

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:12 pm