View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 am

crows in the hood 
King of Spring

Post crows in the hood
Went out saturday to a spot where two birds were hot friday morning. I knew one of the birds had hens because i watched him fly down from the roost friday with 5 or 6 hens calling to him from the ground. Saturday morning that same bird never made a peep from the roost. He gobbled for about thirty minutes after he hit the ground circling below me with his stubborn ole hens in tow. After I tried a few calls on him I decided that was enough, I'd save him for later. Too much will make em wise. Then the rain came. I chilled out in a stand of pines for about an hour. After the rain stopped and birds started chirping I figured there was no time like the present and rolled off a few yelps from my slate call. Gobble !! There he was about 150 yds below me He gobbled three more times then nothing for about five minutes. I ever so slightly purred on the slate and GOBBLE !!!!, GOBBLE !!! GOBBLE!!!. There he was, front and center about 75 yds out and coming in (string almost visible). From a distance came 6 or 7 crows and lit in the trees directly above him. Then all h broke loose. they were diving out of the trees at him, down and up, down and up making the god awfullest racket you ever heard. The Gobbler put up with this for about two minutes then decided enough was enough and walked towards the brush with the crows flying from tree to tree pestering him the whole time. We all know how crows like to irritate turkeys and hawks and owls etc. Has anyone ever had crows directly interfere with their setup on a gobbler ? ( Although this wasn't such a bad thing for old tom)

Last edited by gobbler74 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:38 am
Longbeard

You were delt a bad hand pal, but he's still there better luck next time
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:33 pm