View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:04 am

Hunting Rio's 
Jake

Post Hunting Rio's
I would like to take a Rio for my next sub species of turkey.Probably next yr. Any thoughts of where to go for the best chance at getting one? I would prefer to just pay for land use and not use a guide but whatever works out best is what im looking for. Any experience's with different states and public or private land would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:19 am
Boss Gobbler

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:20 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

a few thoughts: Oklahoma and Kansas have them on public land in some areas. Texas is almost strictly a private land fee based access for them. Access only will run a minimum of 100 day in most places for a quality hunt.. I think the 2yr old or better birds will not be as numerous around san angelo this coming year, based on what I saw last year. I am not going this year for the first time in 5 years. To tell you the truth the rattlesnakes scared me so bad last year that I am just going to pass this year and then reconsider going back another year. There are lots of people who claim to have rios for an access fee only; I have seen some mightly long faces on folks at the airport on the way home who were quite disappointed in what they paid, and the bird numbers on the places they hunted on a "just access' deal ... You might consider a guide and a three day hunt if it is your first time ...costs more but you would learn more and proably kill more birds if that is important. Rios that have not been messed with can be relatively niave; so can easterns for that matter. But there are places in Texas where you an see 100 birds in one or two roost trees and sometimes the birds just fly down and strut in right at first light and you are faced with picking out the one you want...pretty exciting and if you are buddy hunting you can often double in that situation. Most guides allow you to kill one or two birds for one fee and then will charge more if you wnat to kill more than two, and of course you need to work all of that out ahead of time. It is very possible to kill a limit of four birds in a single day out there if you hit it right. I have some names but I have not personaly hunted with them so I am hesitant ot pass them out as reccomended. There is a lot of hype on some texas hunts, so ask a ot of questions and ask for some references. Earlier in season you go the better your chances. Be repared to walk, hunt as hard as you would back east, and you will do okay if you are a good hunter to start with...if you fell like you you might need some help, get a guide for sure. Rios have a pattern they travel each day, and you sort of have to luck in to the pattern, or alternatively figure it out and move ahead of the flock once it assembles and starts moving on it daily rounds...if they are with hens, those gobblers can be very difficult to call away fro m a flock...sound familair? There are some good rio stories and pictures in the Vaturkey.com archives for 2002. 2003, 2004...go to the 2003 archives and read the sotry I posted with pictures on the "Five bearded turky top incredible texas hunt"; last post on i t was 4/17/03....that should get your blood boiling for a rio....

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:06 pm
2 Year Old

no doubt, texas is your best chance. me and my dad both killed nice rio's in oklahoma a few years ago, on public land. we had a pretty tough hunt, but both killed the same day on the same river, about a mile apart. hunted 4 days and called in 21 hens and 9 jakes, that was the only longbeard seen, my dad's storys was about the same.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:37 am
Jake

Thanks for the info! Texas was first on my list when i began researching places to hunt Rio's but Oklohoma quickly came into the big picture.
I am no pro but would rather not be guided on a hunt. I dont mind paying for it but i dont want the birds handed to me. I would rather go hunt them and make it happen with what i have learned as to letting someone set me down and have tons of birds parading in frot of me with no work or effort at all. I am leaning towards public land and from what i see Oklohoma would be a better bet for that although Texas is definately an option if a pay per hunt with the right set up presents itself.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:48 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

have never hunted with a turkey guide (at least one who was being paid)....the folks who I hunted with in Texas live back here but just had a "deer lease" that we hunted. Thus, they knew the terrain...do not undersetimate the need for some local knowledge and terrian knowledge. SOme of the "access only " arrangements can be good one year and very bad the next, so there is no guaranty on any of it if you just have access. I have never heard of a place where ,as you say," it requires no effort and tons of birds are paraded around in front of you"..I will say there have been some days out there when it was 90 degrees, wind about 40 mph, snakes everywhere , and no birds gobbling that I would have been mighty interested in a place like you describe...

Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:15 pm
Jake

I plan on doing my homework before hunting public land anywhere. I will do the best research i can but thats all i can do. You live and learn. Im looking forward to going after one and thats the main thing. If we fail theres always the next yr.. :D

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:13 pm
Jake

Sounds like you got a pretty good idea on what you want to do but I was looking into a Texas hunt myself and found a pretty good website for outfitters, dont know if your interested but here it is.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Recreat ... tes/Texas/

I went on a trip down there, it was a good time but somewhat of a rip off. They made it sound like you could call on your own and walk around, but they set you down in a blind and told you not to walk around. Anyways hope the site helps.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:20 pm
Jake

I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:41 pm