View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:29 pm

I'm driving myself NUTS!!! 
2 Year Old

Post I'm driving myself NUTS!!!
O.K. I think I should start with a question... How dead can you kill a Gobbler??? I have killed birds every season with my 870, but this year I decided to change a few things. First I went with a different adjustable sight (Tru-Glo Extreme universal) and I wanted to try the Winchester shells (Win. Xtended range) so I thought they would shoot better with a Kicks 660 choke. My old setup was same gun with Hevi-Shot #6 with a Jellyhead choke. Well after the first day at the range the Win XR's shot great thru the Kicks but the pattern was about 6-8 inches low. No big deal I thought so today I got off work early and headed out to shoot again and adjusted my sights and I just can't seem to get it right. :evil: It's shooting pretty good at 20 yds. but back out to 40 yds it still seems low. I've raised the rear sight and lowered it and I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda anal about things like this but I think everybody should be, I mean you need to know exactly what your gun will do in any situation. Now all I can think about is " what should I do?" I'm about to go crazy........

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 pm
2 Year Old

If you're shooting low you need to raise the rear sight all the way up. If it continues unscrew the choke and screw it back in and maybe it'll seat better. If it's still low you can leave the rear sight on and go back to a low profile bead on the front. That'll pull your pattern up too.

Thinking about the geometry you could also try moving the rear sight forward on the barrel. That'll change your angle slightly also.

GOOD LUCK!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:58 pm
King of Spring

You probably already know this, but as far as the rear sight is concerned, you just move it in the direction that you want your pattern center to go. If you want it to be higher, you move the rear sight higher, to move your pattern left, move it left, etc. If you're trying to make adjustments to the front sight, the opposite applies (hence Jay's advice above). If you move it to the mechanical limits of the sight you have installed, then you either need a new sight or a new tube. Since you've already been able to get patterns hitting point of aim with this gun, I would guess that the tube is either a bad match for the gun or it's defective. Just my thoughts . . .

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:15 am