View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
 WHO ARE YOU? 
Poult

I'm Ralph from Pennsylvania. I teach physics. I am an outdoor writer and have a weekly hunting column in several newspapers. I am president of the local NWTF chapter. I have hunted VA for several years and have yet to kill a bird there. I just like the area. My wife is new to turkey hunting in VA and will be making her first trip this year.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:11 pm
Poult

Name is Dave Ditman, Live in Chesapeake VA. NJ Native. Been in the NAVY for 15yrs. Hunted one time(for deer) when I was 17. Didn't hunt again until 11 years ago. It was a cold April morning in Westmoreland County and had 5-6 different gobblers sounding off around me. I was hooked. My first turkey didn't come for another year. I am a self made Turkey hunter. Did a lot of reading and a lot of listening to real turkeys in the woods. I have only killed 2 birds in 11 years. I don't get discouraged. I enjoy sitting in the woods and seeing God's great creations.
I have been married for 7 years and have an 18month duaghter. I have given up on deer hunting and have concentrated on Turkeys. I have recently taken an interest quail hunting. I have not been yet but have a great brittney that I am trying to train.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:50 pm
King of Spring

Dave, welcome. I am a novice Turkey Hunter myself. This is my 4th season. I took my first bird last spring. I know what you mean about being hooked. Roger about watching God's creation, It's awesome isn't it. You sound like an OK guy, even if you are from NJ... Just teasin'
My name is Ron, aka FlatLand Gobbler. I live in Hampton. Maybe we could hook up for a hunt. Give me an email if you get a chance kd4nbq@juno.com (Ham Radio, my other vice, I mean passion).

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:39 pm
Poult

Name-Dale Bias, live in Greensboro, NC married with 2 daughters. I too am a novice turkey hunter. This is my 2nd year, and I'm completely hooked. Grew up hunting deer in the hills outside of Huntington WV.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:40 pm
Jake

I'm Tom Nansel and I'm lucky enough to manage the family ranch in eastern Montana. I have a wife - Robin and 5 kids, Derek- 15, Kaitlin- 10, Peyton- 6, Nolan- 4, and Quinten- 2. (I think that's right ;) )

Dr. George Dykes from Alabama got us started in turkey hunting here at the ranch in 1999. Since then we have had the privilege of meeting many wonderful people that call themselves turkey hunters, including Freddy, Hody and Max. (Hopefully Amy will get to come next spring)

Though I have never killed a bird myself, I have scouted for, roosted, guided hunters (don't ask me to call) and managed habitat for turkeys and I have enjoyed the sport immensely for 6 years

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Hey! -I'm Greg Sizemore from Stonega (Appalachia-area), Virginia (Wise County). I've been in the woods ever since i was old enough to walk. I was adopted by my grandparents as a baby, and have lived with them ever since. My grandad and my uncle/brother taught me everything i know about hunting and fishing ...whether it be for squirrel, deer, rabbit, or the ever-popular wild turkey! God gave me my first bird at the age of 11, I was hooked long before that tho thanks to my uncle/brother and our numerous encounters in the woods! I've taken many birds, and at the relatively young age of 26, can't complain about the success i've had since taking my first bird some 15 years ago! I'm simply a man who loves the outdoors and the wonder of God's creation :!:

Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:06 am
Longbeard

Home of the Stonega Stallion!! The greatest high school football player ever in the state of Virginia. Didn't think anybody remembered him did ya?

Sun May 01, 2005 9:13 pm
King of Spring

Mudfork - 'Ol Ed was a great one that's for sure! You think people would forget about him for the most part, but you wouldn't believe some of the places i've been and people that i've talked to that ask about him and remember him! He was one of a kind that's for sure! Never got to see him play, but from what i've heard, NO ONE was, is, or ever will be any better! Anyways, I live about a mile down the road from where Ed Clark "The Stonega Stallion" was raised/lived!

Mon May 02, 2005 12:39 am
Hey guys Im Jamie and Im from Martinsville, Virginia. I have been lurking in here for quite a while and enjoyed reading the posts. I hunt Henry, Pittsylvania, Franklin and Patrick County. I work with high risk kids with the juvenile court system in Pittsylvania County. Im also a taxidermist and specialize in whitetail deer. I have more work in my freezer than I will ever hope to finish in my lifetime but Im knocking them out one at a time first come first serve.

Im happily married and have a son 23 and a beutiful daughter 9. I have been turkey hunting since 1968 and I have scared away my share over the years. I have been addicted to this spring turkey hunting stuff for a lot of years. I also like to deer, predator and squirel hunt but it seems that those are just good excuses to scout for birds.

Im tagged out right now and tired but the season is coming to a close and I know where one lives so I may go see if he will gobble in the morning just to prepare for next year.

Good luck iisabigone

Sun May 08, 2005 10:50 pm

Sun May 08, 2005 10:55 pm
King of Spring

My name is Vince. I have a wife, Kelly, and two kids, Dale 17 months and Lillian 8 weeks old. I work for the Department of Defense at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD. This is my third spring hunting turkeys and I got my first last year. I am self taught and try to glen usable information everytime I talk to someone else who hunts this great bird. I basically hunt whatever is in season and try to keep the freezer full of wild game for my family. I tend to be a meat hunter and Deer is my family's primary staple. I generally try to find any reason to get into the woods because it is my therapy. Without it I would probably go insane. Although turkeys can drive me insane too, it is an insanity I welcome. I just joined this site and really enjoy the many tidbits of information I have gathered from all of you seasoned turkey hunters. Hope to one day meet some of you to help further my education.

In a year or so I think my wife wants to get into hunting. If there are any other ladies out there who could help her along the path I would be most appreciative. She has been an outdoors woman for many years and would enjoy the sport given the chance.

I am glad to have stumbled onto this website. It is great to meet hunters with the same obsessions I too possess.

Vince

Fri May 13, 2005 12:48 pm
Jake

I am Marshall Wood and live in VA. I have been Spring Gobbling for 8 years now and love it like the rest of you. Reside in Bedford county/ plenty of turkeys around here, although this year was tough. Email me if at mwood@duckheadshoes.com if you are interestedin swapping hunts in the spring. Have several great spots.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:43 pm

Tennessee is home

been hunting since I started walking in 1967

Been turkey hunting 17 years and started when there were no turkeys so I know what hard turkey times are that we are in the hay day of turkey hunting.

Been away from VATURKEY a while and I apologize. Great site and I'll keep up from now on I promise.:D

occupation is turkey hired gun

I'll kill em in the spring or fall don't matter

Game and Fish sets a season and I fill the tags, some don't like it cause I fill to many tags but again if Game and FIsh wanna sell em to me then I got the right to fill em'

I love to deer hunt especially with a bow, I go nuts over ducks in the winter and chase them all over Tn, Ark, Miss, and Ill from time to time.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:11 pm
2 Year Old

Howdy, good to meet ya'll! I answer to Charles, Chuck or Charlie. Got a good wife, who hasn't been able to run me off yet and two girls 6 and 8, four mutts a cat and a pet steer. Grew up and found my way back to Hillsville Va. Spent a few years in Harrisonburg Va, then a few in Beckley WV. Hunted deer along the way in several counties. Mostly hunt in Carroll, Patrick and Bland now. Pushin 40 hard havein a midlife crises. Meet JP in 84' or 85' in Wytheville. Grad WCC in 86' and WV TECH in 95'. Currently working as a project manager for a GC. Not a turkey hunter persia, although I have lucked into a few over the years. Favorite was bowhunting deer but I haven't bow hunted since the birth of my oldest daughter, life changed gears and I lost time to practice. Hope to come out of retirement this fall. Try to run a small vineyard and raise a few quail on the side with the help of my dad. Got hooked on vadeer.com last fall and somehow got put in a moderator position. JP had told about this sight earlier but I'm just now checkin it out. You got a great sight here, looks like a lot of good people and fun. Look forward to chattin with you in the future.

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:45 pm
Poult

Howdy, my name's Justin. I live in Morgantown, WV, and I'm a research biochemist for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. I'm working on a couple things right now, including new ways to identify tuberculosis bacteria, toxic mold, and hard metal disease in workers. Besides hunting my passion is Texas A&M football. By the way, if there's any hokies on the board, how 'bout that game a couple years ago in the hurricane, eh?

I hunt about every chance I can get, all over WV. The only thing I've never hunted is waterfowl, and I'd love to but don't know anybody that does it. Been married seven years and have three dogs. That's about it on my life story, LOL.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:47 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next