View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:24 pm

Winchester Xtended Range 
2 Year Old

Post Winchester Xtended Range
Anybody tried these new Winchester loads? I was wondering what the minimum choke constriction is for these loads.... I want to try them in my Jellyhead choke (which will be OK) and also in a couple Kicks chokes (660,665) Just wondering if anybody has tried these and what your opinion is of them......Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:27 pm
King of Spring

I shot a box of em a few weeks ago through the factory tube and a jellyhead, on the mossberg 835, I liked em, the jellyhead did better, they did real good between 25 and 40 and dare i say even performed at 50. I shoot 9" paper plates, and they were covered well at these distances. I'm going to try one more choke tommorrow when i get down to ga. because both seemed really tight from 20 and closer, but what are you going to do, i want the best of both worlds short and long but i would rather err on short and then just have to get em to come a little closer. Hopefully after this weekend i can tell you what they do to a turkey's head. :lol:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:43 pm
King of Spring

Post Winchester Extended
I don't shoot them because in my particular 1187 the old Hevi-13's (3", 1 3/4 oz) shoot better with a Kicks .665. However one of my hunting partners using the exact same gun as me, got poor results with the my same set-up. For him the Xtended Range 3" number 6 using a Comp-n-choke .665 was great. Great coverage at 40 yards.

Shows you each shotgun is different.

PS. Spoke with Charlie Boswell last week and he said the Extended are really working well out of his chokes. Charlie knows his business for sure.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:54 am
Boss Gobbler

LOVE EM. I am slowly switching to them from the regular Win HV as they hit harder. I tested them last year and they really patterend about the same as the HV's only hit harder. Shot both at Plyboard backed target and no question that they hit harder. I use a Comp-N- Choke .665 and it works well in my 870. PS I only shoot 3" too. IMHO you can only kill them so dead, and if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:34 am
Boss Gobbler

Told you could get some good info here! :D Enjoyed talking with you last night!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I HAVE A BROWNING GOLD HUNTER WITH A "BRILEY 675 HEVI-SHOT TURKEY CHOKE. I HAVE SHOT A LOT OF LOADS IN THIS GUN COPPER AND HEVI-SHOT AND THE WINCHESTER XTENDER RANGE HI-DENSITY IS THE BEST FOR THIS GUN..

IN A 12" CIRCLE @ 30 YDS 340 - 320 SHOTS IN IT ..
AND AT 40 YDS 250-230.....GIVE OR TAKE!!!

THE BRILEY CHOKES IS SPECIFICALLY DESGNED FOR HEVI-SHOT PELLETS, BRILEY HAS CREATED THE ULTIMATE IN TIGHT PATTERNS. LONG PARALLEL SECTION AND .675 INNER DIAMETER COMBINE WITH MINIMUM GAP GEOMETRY TO GIVE SUPER-TIGHT PATTERNS AND LONG RANGE KNOCKDOWN POWER.

ALL MY TESTING HAS SHOWN THIS CHOKE AND HEVI-SHOT PELLETS GIVE A TIGHTER "CENTER" AND FEWER FLYERS THEN THE SAME CHOKE WITH LEAD SHOT.

I HAVE FOUND THAT YOU NEED TO OPEN UP YOUR CHOKES FOR HEVI-SHOTS ...DONT GO TO TIGHT WITH YOUR CHOKE LIKE YOU WERE FOR COPPER LOADS , YOU WILL GET LOT OF FLYERS .

BUT THIS IS MY GUN , YOU WILL NEED TO TEST LOADS AND CHOKES TO SEE WHAT YOUR GUN LIKES.

I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD TURKEY SEASON.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:18 am
King of Spring

Post winchester xtended range
XR's are great for long range.

I shot them last year out of my Browning A-5 with a custom made choke. I don't know the exact constriction of this choke but was told it was equal to a XX Full. Anyway at short range it shoots a knot.
Here are some stats from last years patterning session with XR 3" #6's
I was shooting at a 7 1/2 inch circle with a turkey head/neck inside of it.
At 50 yards I put 46 pellets in the circle, 25 in head/neck.
At 60 yards I put 28 pellets in the circle, 10 in head/neck.

Target was put on an old metal real estate sign, all pass thrus.
I never plan on shooting a bird over 40 yards but if an error is made in judging the distance, I have a good 10 yard cushion. At short range, HOLD REAL STEADY!!!

Give'm a try and good luck.

barry

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:02 pm