View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:31 am

Stoeger Model 2000? 
Longbeard

Post Stoeger Model 2000?
Has anyone done any shooting with one of these? I hope to get on the range with it later in the week. It came with a factory xtra-full turkey choke. I plan on trying #5 HV Winchesters.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:56 pm
Post Stoeger 2000
I have a Stoeger 2000 w/26" barrel. The xtra full choke tube that comes with the gun throws a good pattern, but the recoil will punish you! I also tried a Primos Jellyhead and XXFull Comp'N'Choke. The Jellyhead and Comp'N'Choke had less felt recoil than the factory turkey choke tube. As for the pattern density, the Comp'N'Choke is slightly better than the Jellyhead and the factory xtra full choke tube. (Remington #6,#5 HeviShot)

I also installed a Limbsaver recoil pad, and 3mm Easyhit fiber optic front bead. If you are going to modify your gun for turkey, I recommend the Limbsaver recoil pad first, then experiment with various loads using the xtra full factory choke tube! You will be surprised with your results @ 40 yds.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:23 pm
Boss Gobbler

I just got the 26" barreled Stoeger 2000 a couple months ago myself. Have only patterned turkey loads to 25 yards so far. With the factory turkey choke I'm getting some nice patterns with Winchester HV 3" #5 and Remington 3" #6 hevi-shot.

Hoping to get back out this week and pattern some more.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Thanks guys! What size is the Limbsaver pad that the 2000 takes? That might be the first addition. I also thought about adding a Tru-glo sight. I probably will shoot it without those this week and I'll pass the info I get back!

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:09 am
King of Spring

I shoot a Stoeger 2000 for waterfowl. It's been one the the best guns I've ever owned as far as reliability. I really put it through some nasty stuff and it's always shot real well. Never turkey hunted with it, so all I can comment on is it's reliability.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:43 pm
Post Limbsaver Recoil Pad
I purchased the Limbsaver recoil pad #10401(http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/fire ... ecfit.aspx). After removing the factory pad, I next shaped the plastic base template of the limbsaver to match the dimension of the factory butt plate. This allowed the limbsaver to fit the inset of the synthetic stock. The end result was that the length of pull was 14 3/8", and the limbsaver looked as if it were a factory fit!

The Limbsaver recoil pad, and the Easyhit fiber optic sight were the two best upgrades that I have done for my shotgun! The Easyhit fiberoptic sight only allows you to see the glowing bead with the eye that is aligned with the barrel. In other words, if you're right-handed, you can only see the bead with your right eye with the right cheek on the stock! If you have to switch to off-handed (left-hand in my case), you can only see the bead with your left eye. I have a 3mm Easyhit (red) on my Stoeger, and a 3mm Easyhit (green) on my Remington 11-87.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:00 pm
Longbeard

Ok I went to the range today and yes with 3" Winchester HV loads and the factory xtra-full turkey choke it kicks!

26" barrel with factory red bead sight, factory xtra-full turkey choke, 3" #5 HV Winchester shells. Target was an 11"x11" HS Strut target with an 8.5x11" piece of paper behind it. I'll give the pellet counts as 8.5x11"/head&neck shots.

Overall observation was that this gun shoots low and slighty left with the factory choke and this load. I may try the tru-glo sights to try to get something adjustable.

@25 yards shot 1 (a bit low) 119/12
" " shot 2 (still a bit low) 166/32
" " shot 3 " " 161/26

@ 40 yards shot 1 (still a bit low) 69/13
shot 2 " " 76/17

When I say "a bit low" especially @25 yards there were a bunch of pellets concentrated in the lower 4-5" of the target ever when putting the bead just barely over the head on the HS Strut target.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:58 pm
Boss Gobbler

Thanks for the info. I still have not had a chance to get out. The range up here is closed right now due to a fire.

Just got two Star Dot chokes in for my Stoeger. They are ported and full steel and modified steel. Curious how they will pattern for waterfowl.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Anyone know the choke size of the factory extended turkey choke that comes with the 2000?

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:49 am
Longbeard

Well I added some Hi-Viz triviz sights and with all the adjustment in that sight, it still shoots low and left. Dik's said they can't do anything b/c I have fired it and Stoeger is closed on Saturday. I left them a detailed message with customer service.....I am hoping I can get them to swap out the barrel ASAP.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:05 pm
Longbeard

Talked to Stoeger today....The gun has to go to them, 4-6 week turn around, blah, blah, blah. I asked if this was a problem with Stoegers and I got the party line answer "This can happen with all major brand guns, Remington, Winchester, etc." To me that was yes it is a problem. This is killing me, 10 days until pull the trigger time and I have to send my brand new shotgun to the factory. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:27 am
King of Spring

I feel for you. That is a real shame. Is it so bad you can't use it, or can you compensate and send it back after the season?

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 pm
Longbeard

Flatland, the hold over at 25 yards is so bad that I wouldn't be able to see the gobbler's head! Not fair to the turks to use something like that!

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
King of Spring

Yeah, I would agree with you on that! It is a shame we can't take a gun back to the store and exchange it like any other commodity we purchase. I guess that would mess up the states paperwork to much :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:57 pm
Longbeard

Actually D*ck's said had it not been fired, they could have done something but how do you know "it don't shoot right" without shooting it! :lol:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:56 pm