View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:21 am

hunting with a partner 
King of Spring

Post hunting with a partner
Does anyone here hunt with a partner? If so, how do you signal to one another when to shoot if there are 2 toms in range without spooking them, and if there's only one tom how do you decide who gets to shoot it?

Ryan

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:26 pm
King of Spring

Post Huntin with a partner...
HG....I am sure ya gonna get some good answers on these questions... :)

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:40 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I hunt with a partner often, all of the time we decide who's shooting before we get out of the truck. Usually if it's one of his spots and he's done the scouting etc. he shoots and vice versa, or if one has already got one then the other will shoot. When we get into a position where two or more birds are working to the call we shoot the one on the side we are sitting, are signal is always a kee kee if we cant talk to each other, keekee 123 to ourselves. Lots of times you will shoot the strutter and even when your partner is set up behind you, you can make some calls and get the other birds either coming back or calmed down enough to get a shot or reposition in the commotion for a shot. Last year in georgia i shot a turkey jumped up to go get him when my buddy yelled there's more coming, sat down laid it on thick, and two jakes broke and jumped on my bird, he shot em both (legal in georgia), and two more stayed around for about 10 more minutes, till we ran em off. Be careful and know where each person is, it can be easy to get caught in the commotion and forget where your buddy is when he's all green and brown. P.S. if your partner is a kid, your wife, girlfriend or a first timer the decision is easy always let them shoot.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:51 pm
King of Spring

Post Hunting with a pardner
TW....I like your reply.....good job.... :D

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:29 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I'm with T.W. that it's decided who's on the gun before me and whoever I'm hunting with attempt to work a bird. If there's more than one then typically whoever's got a mouth call in will cluck, the other will count 1-2-3, and simultaneously attempt the double. There's an awesome example of this in Freddy's homepage diary from last spring when he and GN took a first morning double in Kentucky. I've found once you hunt with someone enough and get to know their tendencies it become's second nature.

I most always let whoever's with me have the first crack. I get just as much joy, if not more, watching someone else harvest a bird along side me. I know some, who kill their fair share of birds, that seldom share the experience with a friend or loved one. Some of my most cherished memories are those spent in the woods with family and friends.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:53 pm
King of Spring

Yea, thanks for the replies. Neither of us has ever gotten one, so we both really want to take one. I know on the videos I've seen it's almost always more than one that'll come in, is that true in your all's experience, too?

Ryan

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:29 pm
King of Spring

maybe yall need to just find a big ol tree and sit right down next to one another, whatever side he shows up on that one gets first crack, and if more than one come then yall can talk to one another. As far as most of the time 2 or more coming in, i'm not sure about that, i guess it all has to do with the number of gobblers and hens in the area and what phase the turkeys are in, from my experience it's not most of the time, often yes, especially with jakes or early in the season, maybe a third of the time, never really thought about it, it's nice when it happens though they seem to be a bit more relaxed and kind of competitive with each other, who can get her first sort of thing. good luck to the both of you.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:17 pm
Longbeard

hello hokie, i take several people to the woods each year, my sugestion would be for you to decide who will be taking the shoot before reaching the woods and only one gun be taken, when calling i like to set up around 50 yards behind the shooter if possible. as for two birds being called in, just consider yourself lucky if you can get one. blacksburg is just about 45 min from here so if you would like to get together one morning give me a shout

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:48 am
King of Spring

Hey, I'm actually friends with a guy from Rural Retreat.

Ryan

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:18 am
King of Spring

TScott and I do a fair amount of buddy hunting. Usually, the shooter is the person who has gone the longest since killing the last bird. The unwritten rule on two birds is take the bird on the right if you are sitting on the right, the one on the left if you are sitting on the left. If we are in a front and behind scenario, the behind doesn't shoot! Just work it out in advance and you'll both be more comfortable when the shot opportunity comes.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 am
Profile YIM
Hey HokieGobbler, you know a Ben Mallalieu from Luray?

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:41 pm
King of Spring

love hunting with a partner - do so on a regular basis.
it is much safer to sit shoulder to shoulder with your hunting partner especially if it is someone you dont hunt with on a regular basis. shoulder to shoulder affords you twice as many eyes and ears to find the gobbler and makes it exceedingly easier to communicate to one another.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:58 pm
King of Spring

SCP yea he's my best friend.........small world, who are you?

Ryan

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:42 pm
King of Spring

Hokie, I think it's definitely best to decide the 'who shoots' question in advance, well before you set up.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:16 pm
King of Spring

Post More fun to share
I don't truly care if I kill a gobbler or not. The fun is being out and working a bird. One of my favorite things is running and gunning with my hunting buddy. He is a much more experienced hunter and caller than me. While getting one off the roost is fun, the real fun in my opinion is trolling along around mid-morning over large expanse of property and making a few calls and finally getting that gobbler to sound off. My buddy almost always looks at me, smiles and say's "The Game is on".

It truly is all about "the game". For me hearing birds getting fired up and coming in double gobbling, and spitting and drumming is the best there is. Pulling the trigger is almost anti-climatic in some ways. However, giving each other a high five after a great hunt and being able to share that event is truly special.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:39 pm