View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:25 pm

Gobble Up Our Land? 
King of Spring

Post Gobble Up Our Land?
I hate to be the bearer of dark tidings, but I recently read in "Blue Ridge Outdoors" a couple of very troubling news bits that I was not aware of, and that I want other people to be aware of. There is still time to do something about one of them. The other looks like it's already a done deal.

You may already know this, but I just heard of the proposed Interstate-3. According to the article, "The proposed Interstate-3 will link Savannah, Ga. to Knoxville, Tenn. Several proposed routes take the interstate through the north Georgia mountains and mountains of Western North Carolina. Many of the town councils along the proposed routes have already voted against the interstate, but I-3 still has momentum in state and federal legislatures and funding has been approved for feasibility studies." I know there are some folks who frequent this website who live in the considered areas. As if this proposal on its own weren't troubling enough, a reader's response printed in the article raises this issue: "The northern terminus of the interstate is Oak Ridge, Tenn., site of the Y-12 nuclear bomb complex. The southern terminus is near the Savannah River Site nuclear waste facility. Do we really want more unmarked trucks driving through our mountain towns, carrying the most dangerous nuclear material in the world? All it would take would be one accident." There is still time for people to contact their representatives in local & federal government to voice their concerns regarding this proposed interstate.

The other bit of news I read in the same magazine is this: apparently the US Forest Service is planning to sell 300,000 acres of National Forest land. Nearly 56,000 of those acres are in the southeast. How far can we push the wilderness away before we won't ever be able to find it again?

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:11 am
King of Spring

I think i've heard a little talk about this, i'm from elbert co georgia and had heard talk off 17 getting expanded. Is this the same route? That might be nice for travelling to UT to see the dawgs beat up on the vols! but i dont think the trade off is worth it, we are already losing valuable land to the ever expanding migration of atlanta northward, what is blue ridge outdoors, a magazine, or internet site? I'd like to look into this some.
thanks for the info
tw

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:06 am
King of Spring

Route 17 may be part of the proposed route. The feasibility study is looking at existing roads that could be converted to interstate. You can check out http://www.stopi-3.org for the details.

Blue Ridge Outdoors is a free magazine that I pick up at a couple of sporting goods stores in central VA. They're also online at http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com. I've never been to the website though.

This is a turkey-hunting website/forum and I hope I'm not getting too far off topic or too political--that's not my intention. I just recognize the speed at which our hunting lands are getting sold, subdivided, and built up. It just concerns me and I want the people who care about that land (ie-hunters) to at least be aware of what's happening.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:30 pm
Longbeard

I feel your pain. Our family farm was split 6 years ago for a highway in Northern VA and then 2 years ago we sold another 35 acres for a housing development (not that we had a choice). Up here land is being developed faster than anything.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:07 pm
King of Spring

That might be nice for travelling to UT to see the dawgs beat up on the vols!

I hope for your sake, that they don't put a road through Va Nat Forest to Morgantown!!....

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:33 pm
King of Spring

I feel your pain. Our family farm was split 6 years ago for a highway in Northern VA and then 2 years ago we sold another 35 acres for a housing development (not that we had a choice). Up here land is being developed faster than anything.

I can't imagine that. I don't even own land and that fires me up!

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:29 pm
King of Spring

Federal Govt has an open comment period running through March 30th in regards to the Sale of Forest Service Land.. you can submit electronically

Comments may address the entire list and proposal or specific parcels. Comments on specific parcels should include the parcel number, which can be found on the USFS Web site at http://www.fs.fed.us. Follow the links to access "President's FY 2007 Budget Proposal for the Forest Service - Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act Extension" for more information.
Comments must be received by March 30 and may be sent by e-mail to SRS_Land_Sales@fs.fed.us. Written comments may be sent to: USDA Forest Service, SRS Comments, Lands 4S, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Mailstop 1124, Washington, DC, 20250-0003. Send faxed comments to (202) 205-1604.

I encourage everyone who has an opinion to please submit a comment.

Here is a related story.

http://www.pocahontastimes.com/localnew.html#5thstory

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:10 pm
King of Spring

thanks for the info, I think fullback pretty much put me in my place :( , i forgot there were wva boys using this sight.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:00 pm
King of Spring

We were lucky we had a big lead in that Bowl game.. but I'll take it.. good thing we have that, as we just got knocked out of the NCAA last night.. man that sucked..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:28 am