View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:41 am

Turkey food of choice?? 
Post Turkey food of choice??
I am in college in Southwest Virginia and I'm looking for some tips for the upcoming hunting season. I've never hunted in VA before, yet alone in this part of the state. I'm wondering what you all know about the types of plants that grow around here that are preferred dining for turkeys (berries, etc.) I've heard some talk of Bradford pears and red bud trees? What else should I be looking out for???

Thanks.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:00 pm
King of Spring

Bugs. This time of year especially birds will hit any field first thing in the morning and pick off bugs while the dew is keeping them immobile.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:27 pm
King of Spring

scp, These are some things to look out for,

> The talk of redbud and pears was signs of spring not signs of turkey.

> turkey are still scratching so look for that, also tracks , droppings, tracks w/ drag marks beside ( from gobblers strutting) etc.

>In farm country look for cow pies that have been flipped over( they flip em over to get at bugs and shoots underneath).

> look for the hens to be around south facing hillsides ( especially in the mts) as these areas will green up first and the hens will feed there to prepare for upcomming nesting).

> generally get out and look for sign, listen at first light, check out soft areas, mud holes, sandy creek banks. walk areas you can hunt.

Good luck and don't cut class

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:07 am
Poult

Post swva
I hunt about 1 mile from Southwest Virginia Community college and if you are hunting cow pastures definetly hit that. Bugs this time of year, they love.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:27 am