View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:42 am

Finally Steppin’ on Some Neck in Bluemont! 
King of Spring

Post Finally Steppin’ on Some Neck in Bluemont!
Been a different kinda season. Worked two birds the first week but no shots fired. Then went on vacation for a week for anniversary (tip: don’t get married during Spring Gobbler season). Well, finally back at it this week and slow going. Birds gobbling off the properties or no gobbles at all.
Different story this morning! Headed up to chase some mountain birds in Bluemont this morning. Had a few birds gobbling just off property at daybreak. Started to move to position myself to work them and one hammers about 150 yds up the mountain a bit.
I move into about 80-100 yds and set up. I let out a few soft tree yelps on the wingbone and he hits it! About 10 mins later he gobbles again and I pull out the spare gloves and do a fly down w/ em against my chest w/o any calling. Another 10 mins goes by and I let out some more soft yelps on the wingbone…..GOBBLE! About 60 yds out on the ground. He’s just above me on a small flat and I figure I can get him to come to the lip and get a shot.
No such luck. He was responsive to my yelps gobbling at just about everything I did but wouldn’t come out of his strut zone. I finally make the decision to move up to a big rock face that I can peek over and call as I move to cover my steps. He hammers back and I get set up just peering over the top of the rock face.
Five minutes goes by w/ no gobbles or footsteps and I’m thinking he’s buggered. One of the birds from off the property is gobbling non-stop below me and heading towards me and I’m thinking I’ll bail on this bird and get in position for the one coming in from below when I catch movement 25 yds out.
He steps behind a tree and I get my gun on where he’s gonna pop out.
He pops out…I shoot…he flops.

Nice bird: 19#, 10.5” beard, and 3/4” dull spurs.

The bird below me was still gobbling while I was taking pics so I headed out up the mountain and plan on going after him tomorrow.

Maybe I can be like Randy and kill two in a row :-D

Attachments:
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg [ 252.28 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg [ 258.49 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]

Thu May 02, 2024 3:04 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Finally Steppin’ on Some Neck in Bluemont!
Every bird is a trophy. Congrats.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu May 02, 2024 4:30 pm
King of Spring

Right on! keep after them

Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am
King of Spring

Congrats Tim.. nice one..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Good job on this bird. It worked right. You deserved it.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed May 08, 2024 3:26 pm