View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:06 am

When a plan comes together 
King of Spring

Post When a plan comes together
After watching a bird and a few hens filter off the property and pay very little attention to my calling on Friday morning i decided to setup Saturday just beyond the area where they flew down. Hoping they would roost in the same location. Got in early and could see a bird against the sky and didn't bust any so felt pretty good about my setup. As it starts to get gray light hens all around start soft calling. I just sit tight and let it all unfold. Two hens i can see are slightly downhill and to my left when finally a gobble rings out uphill and to my right. Perfect. I'm right in the middle so long as they decide to fly down and go off in the same direction as the previous day. 2 gobbles is all i've heard when the first hen flies down and lands within 25 yards of my hard left. Then another until about 5 are filtering around. I'm focused on the area where the gobbles came from as they are flying down close to me so i figure i better track any bird that comes from that direction with my gun in flight. Finally a bird from that direction comes sailing through the timber and i'm tracking it but it sails just past me and lands about 5 yards over my right shoulder. I'm in a pickle until i turn my head and see it's a jake. I'm thinking maybe there isn't a longbeard in the group today. I gave a few yelps because another bird had flown down in front of me that i couldn't identify. A gobble rings out from the same spot as the 2 previous gobbles. Still a chance a big bird is up there. Here comes the next bird in flight from that direction and it lands about 60 yards from me and when it lands i see that big white head and swinging beard. Hens to my left, gobbler to my right. He stands and surveys the situation and then starts my way. Once he got to about 30 yards i ended my WV season with a dandy 20 lb 2oz, 10 inch beard, spurs just under an inch. He was a breeder for sure as his breast was dang near featherless. Done at 6:26.

And GN, I feel flattered and honored to have a legend like yourself ever consider doing anything like i do turkey related. Please take pictures like this. Just another way to honor this and every bird.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:34 am
King of Spring

Post Re: When a plan comes together
quick work of WV season for you.. congrats man..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Great Bird and report. I love that dive box picture!!

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 am
Longbeard

Congrats!

Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:36 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Bigmeat! Fine bird and nice pic perspective

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:26 pm