View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:30 pm

Just one more time..... 
King of Spring

Post Just one more time.....
As many of you regulars on here know, my dad had a stroke nearly ten years ago, and hasn't turkey hunting very much since that time. He spent about five years where he just didn't feel capable of going and after pestering, pleading and down right begging from me he finally relented and went several years ago. He had no interest in sitting in a blind, has always been more of a sit beside a tree and call him up kind of guy. With limited mobility, this a proved a bit more challenging than even I expected. We have had multiple willing participants over the last several years, but closing the deal once in range proved to be not so simple. The only one he shot at was a clean miss at less than 10 yards as one marched directly at us .... turkey is probably still deaf from the gun blast in his ear.

Well it all changed opening morning in NC .....

At 85 years of age dad said he really thought it would never happen again, but it did with a really nice long spurred double bearded monarch!!! Now he says he wants to do it just one more time..... :D

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Just one more time.....
That's awesome, just to see 85 years let alone take "just one more". I think we all say, "let me do it one more time" after each one. Congratulations all

Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:08 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Conrgratulations to Mr Ed and Earl. A wonderful accomplishment.

Wonderful report from a family that was at the heart of their Forum from its inception. I can still recall meeting Mr Ed and Earl at the very first picnic gathering of forum members way way back maybe 20 years ago. These boys can talk turkey and turkey hunting as long as you care to participate and the knowledge they have gained based on their hard earned experiences is priceless.

Having taken a 83 year old physically impaired half blind veteran to kill a TN bird Friday morning I understand the issues .

Please stick around this season Earl. And bring Mr Ed along too. You have a lot to share.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:39 am
King of Spring

Congrats Earl.. nothing like making it happen for your dad..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 am
Jake

GREAT Story.
Keep taking him as long as he will go. My dad is 83 now. He had to give it up about 5 years ago due to his sight after killing a pile of turkeys in his life. I remember the last year we turkey hunted together. He didn't want to go with me because he would be in my way he said. I finally begged and convinced him to go to a field with me that would be easy for him to walk to in the dark. I called a nice one in for him and the bird gave him the most perfect shot possible, I new God was smiling down on us that day , but he missed the bird. I tried to convince him that it happens to everybody, but I knew it had him down. The next week we went again and I let him do the calling. Some hens came in and finally a gobbler joined them. He had another easy shot. I am thinking he'll get this one, but he missed again. That is when he turned to me and said SON that's it I can't do it anymore, its not fair to the turkeys I might cripple one. He has not hunted since. I know he misses it more than anything. I have asked him to go just to heard one gobble again but he wont do it because he is totally blind now and has a hard time walking.

As long as your dad will go TAKE him. It will be a lasting memory you will always have.

Now I have to clean this puddle of tears off my keyboard thinking about MY dad.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:43 pm
Boss Gobbler

Awesome story. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 pm
King of Spring

Awesome!!!

Fri May 03, 2024 11:55 am