View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 pm

Well now I have problem..... 
Longbeard

Post Well now I have problem.....
I was dove hunting in central VA this am. While I am setting decoys before sunrise I had my ESP hearing protectors in but had not turned them on and I thought I could hear turkeys yelping. Turned them on and turkeys were yelping everywhere. They continued to yelp while I killed a limit of doves, probably shot 35 times, more than one box. During this time I heard at least six different gobblers gobbling. Temp was 30. I quit shooting at 8:15 and they were still yelping.

Driving home about 9 I passed a property that I hunt about 3 miles away and there was a lone gobbler out in the field. Made the turn at the end of the field onto a state road and saw 7 turkeys with one in strut in a different portion of the same field. When I pulled over to glass them instead of being 6 hens and one strutting gobbler it was seven mature longbeards! All the turkeys except for the strutter were calmly feeding and the strutter was marching up to each of them in turn and challenging them.

How am I supposed to wait until mid-April now???

Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:10 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Well now I have problem.....
Saw a tree full of hens this am against the predawn sky. Then I saw a couple gobblers in another tree. Both strutting. 28 degrees.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:51 pm