View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

Not sure where we are going from here... 
Boss Gobbler

Post Not sure where we are going from here...
Guys, just wanted to share with you some updates on the website. As most of you are aware, I'm just not around here much any more. My schedule just hasn't allowed me the time to devote to the site like I once did. Obviously with the introduction of different social media platforms, Facebook specifically, site usage has dwindled over the years to where it's just a few users posting, and usually just posting during the season. I appreciate the folks "holding down the fort".

I have to make a decision soon on what to do from here... first, my hosting service fees just went up again. I've gotten a few donations over the last couple years, but not enough to justify the cost I'm still paying for the usage it's getting. Second, the software that the forum runs on is out of date, out of support, and not easily upgradable at this point. I just don't have time to work through another upgrade not knowing about the conversion of data, etc. In fact, I've been notified that the version I'm running could potentially be a security risk and it's possible they could just shut the forum down.

So, if anyone wants to take ownership, take over operations, or take over the cost let me know! I'd be glad to help someone with the transition.

In the meantime, if the site just stops working, Well... we had a good run and many thanks to all of you out there in cyberspace... I consider each and every one of you a friend!

Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Not sure where we are going from here...
It would be great if some of you would consider(1) finding a good I T a guy to look after the site from out of our membership and group and (2) commiting to donating some money to keep the site funded. The decision was made to NOT accept ads here at the inception. It was to be an open forum where ideas could be traded and stories told. Pictures posted and laughs created.

I hope this place can continue under new ownership and management , otherwise all the history contained in these pages is going to be lost in the world of unrecoverables.

Let me say I have really enjoyed being on this site with a lot of very knowledgable turkey hunters for about two decades.

At one time this was the best internet turkey hunting forum and site anywhere. Not just Virgina. Lots of well mannered good intentioned people came through here. I wish more had stayed but the lure of Instagram and FB has sort of wrecked sites like this.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:07 pm
King of Spring

You are right about the history. Lots of great stories told by some great hunters.

I dont have the skillsets to operate a site like this. I could throw some money in but probably not enough. Curious to see where this goes. I've kept my activity up but am only one of a handful.

Hope it stays but don't have great confidence it will. If it dies I hope the regulars can find a way to keep in touch.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:22 pm
King of Spring

You are right about the history. Lots of great stories told by some great hunters.

I dont have the skillsets to operate a site like this. I could throw some money in but probably not enough. Curious to see where this goes. I've kept my activity up but am only one of a handful.

Hope it stays but don't have great confidence it will. If it dies I hope the regulars can find a way to keep in touch.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:23 pm
Longbeard

I have dreaded this day coming for a long time. First I can not thank Freddy, GN, Hody and others enough for doing everything necessary to keep the site up and running. I personally am a dinosaur when it comes to technology, I don't do FB, Twitter, or any of the other social media sites and certainly do not have the knowledge or ability to run this site. I am more than willing to participate in funding in the future if that can be part of the solution. I really can not remember how long I have participated on the site but I can tell you that I have enjoyed every minute of it and if it fails I will dearly miss each of my cyber friends. I truly hope that it can continue in some way and that I can be some part of the future success.
Terry Wagner
Powhatan, VA

Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:05 am
King of Spring

I don't have the tech background to run it and had enough recent health issues that I can't make the jump. Shame. Learded a pile of good info on this site. Hope someone can grab it by the horns.

Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:41 am
King of Spring

Yes this is sad. Sorry I do not have the tech skills needed. This has been a great forum with all good and insightful turkey hunters. For the short time I was a member I enjoyed logging on and reading all the stories and information on turkey hunting.

A huge thanks too Freddy, GN and the others that helped get this forum up and kept it running.

Hopefully one day I will run into some of you at a show or even better the woods.

Earl

Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:37 am
King of Spring

Anyone have an idea how we can keep in touch when the site closes?
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:46 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Welcome to August

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:32 pm
Longbeard

And glad to see the site is still alive..............

Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:43 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Almost September

- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:42 pm
King of Spring

Well, surprised to see it open. I do frequent a couple other sites. I am VinceA on the Marlin Owners site. Just in case someone needs to track me down.
Vince

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:58 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Freddy said he paid the fee. He said to let the site disappear would be “ like burning the family Bible”.

Some of you guys in Va ( and elsewhere ) need to get together and keep this site going IMO

- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:02 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

We are still online. Thanks to Freddy., whom says this is the “ family Bible”.

Hope to see you here next year if it still hangs on. Merry Christmas.

- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:46 am
King of Spring

Freddy, sent you a PM but if you need any help running the website, I am retired and have lots of time. I also have some experience managing data bases and with XML/HTML.
Hate to see this site go away so hope I can be of some assistance
Brwndg

Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 am