View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 pm

Record Va kill for spring 2023. 
King of Spring

Post Record Va kill for spring 2023.
There was a new record kill in va this spring of 24,447. This is a nearly 20% increase over the previous record!

https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/turkey/springharvestsummary/

Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Record Va kill for spring 2023.
Thanks for posting! I was surprised a bit that it was a record year. This quote stuck out…

Quote:
Although many states within the region are reporting declining spring turkey harvests and populations, Virginia seems to be a bright spot regionally. Four of the top 5 turkey harvests have occurred since 2020, indicating that populations appear to be robust

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed May 31, 2023 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Surprised by this after hearing Earl's recent reports. Wonder how Quantico did?
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:27 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Great harvest numbers for Va. unfortunately I never got up there to co ntribute.

In the FWIW category Ky had largest harvest in @ 13 years at @ 35,000 in three week season. Second largest in Ky history I think. I managed to kill my two Ky bird limit. And friends and family with me got birds too.

TN was @32,000 in six week season that opens two weeks later than it ever had. And went to very late May. Something like 15000 killed in first few days of season and 500 killed in last theee weeks of season. Killed my two
Bird limit and freinds and family added some more on some of my trips. . Reduced from prior four bird limit that had been in place more than 15 years I think.

Lot of season/limit tinkering and lot of politics involved now in all seasons and limits in the S E US

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:25 am
King of Spring

I think MD numbers will be pretty good. Most everyone I know got I to a bird. I participated in 6 kills. V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:05 pm
King of Spring

MD did have a record turkey harvest this year. Motivation to keep on trapping.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:42 pm
King of Spring

Vic a lot of us are scratching our heads on the numbers. After the last 3 years of hen poult surveys by the State and Quantico’s. The last 3 years average for state is 2.2 and Quantico 1.9. The base this spring harvest was 35 3rd worst harvest. AP hill 35 miles from Quantico had 60.
It was great news but disappointing so far as 95 present kills were on private land and only 5 percent on public, WMA, state and federal to include national forests.
Looked like a good balance of jakes to gobbler ratio.

But to this day no one including farmers I talked to have seen a poult. Some of the best spring weather that we have had here for hatches.

Earl

Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:25 am
Boss Gobbler

I don't see the increase in harvest as an increase in population. Here are my controversial thoughts... we don't have as many turkeys as we used to have, but turkeys have become a lot easier to kill. A turkey at 50 yards 10 years ago was the winner and walked away. Today, that turkey is busted with TSS out to 60, 70, 80 yards. So... a lot less turkeys winning battles. The other thing that I think makes them easier to kill is decoys and reaping. We have a lot more turkey killers out there than we do turkey hunters this day and age. So... it will be interesting to see how sustainable this is for VA and the other states that seem to still be enjoying good harvests. Just my 2 cents... probably not worth half that.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:54 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Freddy,
Hunters are a big part of the equation. I found it funny that people freak out about using a rifle but killing a Turkey at 75 yes with TSS, no issue. Of the 6 kills I was part of, longest shot was 25 yds. Many do take very long shots. I too believe decoys have made mediocre hunters more effective. I believe mine have helped me, most times. Lots of pieces in this puzzle.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:03 pm
King of Spring

Tss has been around a few years and decoys many years. While I dont discount that these and some other tactics have an impact. The jump this year was population based. We had a big hatch in 21. I saw it then and knew it would be a big year. I said we would push a record but did not see it bumped by 20%. A smaller impact was timing of the season. This year was the earliest starting date Va can have. Just worked out that way. However it caught most hens flocked and not ready to breed and gobblers (2yos to boot) receptive to the first hen they heard on the ground. The public take especially NF is still dismal and everyone should push for cutting and timber management! My 2 cts

Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:27 am
King of Spring

Interesting that both NC and VA posted record harvests this year, while many states are in decline.

I am running into more hunters on public land than in the past, so I can't help but feel more hunting pressure is a significant part of the increase. The Hunting Public, Pinhoti and some others offer a more educational approach to hunters than the videos of the past that were mostly just looking for good camera footage of the bird; so I wonder if that has had any impact. And of course, you can't kill turkeys that ain't there - so population increase are big in the mix. However, where I hunt, local populations are down from ten to fifteen years ago....

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

From various sources seeing and hearing about some really good Virginia poult production that has carried in to the fall. Hope that’s correct for your places

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:44 am