View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

My PA trip 
King of Spring

Post My PA trip
I went to PA to hunt a friends farm. Day 1 found us in our usual starting point and unlike last year we were greeted with gobbling at day break. Sounded like a mature bird and a jake. We set up next to each other with a jake and hen decoy. I through out some soft talk every now and then but heard nothing after fly down. I was thinking about moving but my buddy insisted we give it another 15 minutes. A few moments later I see Turkey 30 yards out to my right front. 3 Jake's and a hen were walking in right towards my decoys. At around 20 yards they started getting nervous and a little soft talk calmed them down and they continued to walk in. When they got to the decoys they noticed my jake was wonky and started to leave. My friend asked if I was going to take a jake, and boom, my gun fire crumpling the lead bird. One of the remaining 2 took wing and my friend shot knocking the bird back to the ground. It hit the ground running, I tried to finish it off but my gun misfired, relevant to a future discussion. We went looking for the bird. As we walked over the hill I thought I heard flapping but saw nothing. After looking about we went back up the hill to collect my bird. Again I heard flapping and happened to look up and see a Turkey flying around the treetops. I think this was the bird he hit, luckily not too severely. We took my bird back to the house, regrouped and went out looking for a bird for my buddy. We walked out past the area we hunted earlier and went to a distant field calling as I went. When we got to the end of our hunting range we set up by an old pile of dirt. I was cold calling like before when all the sudden my buddy says dont move, 2 Jake's coming in from my right. I froze and started doing some soft talk. They walked to the decoys and my friend was able to get his gun out of his lap and pointed towards them. I let out some cuts and the birds separated just enough for him to take the shot. Bird number 2 crumples to the ground but isn't quite dead yet. My nudes goes out to the bird and wrestles it enough to finish it off. So quite the exciting morning and we pack it in for the day.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Sun May 28, 2023 9:51 pm