View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 am

Winchester longbeard 3inch #5s 
King of Spring

Post Winchester longbeard 3inch #5s
Help guys!!

I am running low on turkey hunting ammunition and can't find any boxes, anywhere! Does anybody know of any place near the Roanoke, Bedford area that might carry some of these rounds!

I'm on my last box, and I think maybe 6 left!

Any suggestions? That said, I understand that finding these rounds may be near impossible! Without getting too technical or expensive for that matter, what do you guys shoot and find that works great on turkeys! I know every shotgun shoots rounds differently, and I do know that my remington 870 express super magnum really likes 3 inch #5's! So any info or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks yall!

Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:41 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Winchester longbeard 3inch #5s
I think I saw a couple boxes of 3.5 inch LB 5's in the South Boston Walmart a few days ago, and since your 870 is a supermag it would shoot those with at least the pattern you get from the 3 inch shells. I will try to get by there tomorrow and check and let you know. If you don't mind the cost, any brand of TSS #9 will give an adequate pattern at 40 yards and more, probably with a standard full choke. But since you only have one tag left, six shells is probably all you need for the rest of the season and then some, don't you think?

Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:24 pm
King of Spring

Absolutely 6 should be enough for this season! If not, I probably need to hang it up anyways! Lol! I'm just thinking forward, if anyone sees anything out there, since ya can't hardly find it anywhere, doesn't hurt to start looking now! And what better place than people that know what I'm talking about!

Thanks for the input and suggestions! I've always wanted to try TSS, I don't know if the wallet can handle it though! Lol!

Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:05 am
Longbeard

I went by the local (South Boston) Walmart today and they are completely out of the Winchester Longbeard shells, just had Remington 3.5-inch 2 oz #5s. As for benefits of TSS, I don't think it gives very much advantage over 3.5 inch 12 gauge shooting lead, especially with the Longbeard load. TSS does improve performance of sub-gauges on turkeys, and it also allows use of a little more open choke, for those turkeys which get in close before you get a shot.

Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:57 pm
King of Spring

Don’t miss!

Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:25 am
King of Spring

Hahaha!

Isn't that always the goal!?

Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:09 am