View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 am

Better lucky than good 
Longbeard

Post Better lucky than good
Got this one to answer a crow call at 9:45 this morning, 150 yards away, about where I heard him gobbling while carrying last week's bird out of the woods. Woods too open here for a direct approach so crossed a brushy field and set up against a big pine where field ends in open woods. Yelped and he answered no more than 75 yards off, out of view just on other side of ridge. I shut up to wait him out, and about 15 minutes later heard him gobble to my left, having circled below me but still out of view. After 15 more minutes still not in view, and I heard him drum then gobble back where he had been to start with. Yelped again and was answered but still not coming in. Another 15 minutes more and decided to move back and to left a little, thinking he didn't trust a hen standing her ground. Hit the crow call just in case he was closing in again, no response. Stood up, then saw him circling around me, and amazingly he didn't see me. Raised gun when he was behind a tree, shot him when he came into view again. Really don't know how he didn't see me but I had luck with me this time. Shot was a little longer than I thought, 45 yards, but the 1 5/8 ounces of #9 TSS dropped him cleanly. Nice 2-year old bird, spurs 3/4 and 7/8 inches.

Attachments:
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg [ 146.71 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:58 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Better lucky than good
Congrats!

Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:59 pm
King of Spring

Good story. Can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve stood up, only to spook a bird.
Congratulations

Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:53 pm
King of Spring

Good hunt. Nice Tom, congrats

Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 pm