View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

And the Thunder Rolls 
King of Spring

Post And the Thunder Rolls
Been chasing this bird all week, seen him with hens every single day, would gobble like a maniac everyday all day, he zigged I zagged, all day, everyday. Today I had planned to go at first light like usual but between allergies and/or a head cold I didn’t get much sleep. Turned the alarm off and went back to bed. At 6:30 bro is texting about the one he just got so I decided maybe going later would actually work in my favor. Got there about 7:45 and headed to setup in a spot I had seen this bird, another LB and hens a few times around 9:00. Crow call my way in and hear nothing. At 9:40 I hear him gobble a long ways off for the first time. I called as loud as I could and he gobbled. Sat there until 11 and nothing had changed. Made my way closer to him and he sounded off on his own so I called again and he answered. Still 300 away. I decide to just sit tight and call off and on. Finally he sounds off on his own about 100 away. I call he gobbles. I finally catch a glimpse of him about 80 yards away in strut following his hens, again. They seem to be angling toward where I started the morning so I beat feet to get back there once I knew he wasn’t leaving his hens. 12:30 now and can only hunt until 1:00. I find a spot and just wait as he gobbles in the distance and not seeming to be coming my way. Thunder starts on the backside of the mtn and he gobbles at that so I make a move up a steep ditch to get closer and when I do a raspy hen starts yelping to my left so I lay it on heavy too while walking. I crest the hill and the hens see me and start going back up the mtn, gobbler is off to my right about 100, really open woods. I see a hen over his direction so I jump behind a rock and get my gun up. That hen saw something it didn’t like and started up the mtn but way out of range. I make some excited yelps and then I see the gobbler and another bird step out into a small power line clearing. He goes into strut and then walks straight toward me. He then starts to parallel up the mtn and it’s wide open so I stop him and drop the hammer at 12:53 as the rain starts to pour down. Grabbed the bird and high tailed it down the mtn. 20lb 10 oz., 9.5 beard, ivory spurs.
img] Image

Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:37 pm
2 Year Old

Post Re: And the Thunder Rolls
Good bird uncle!!!!!! :D :smt006

Wild Bill

Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:10 pm
King of Spring

Beautiful bird, congratulations. You Maryland guys I heard are tearing it up.

Earl

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:15 am
King of Spring

Congrats. Nice bird.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:04 pm
King of Spring

Nice work.. congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:06 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Now that is a really nice bird. That thunder rolling through the mountains and woods makes them old turkey right anxious. It’s about the best locator Mother Nature can give us turkey pilgrims Congratulations.

I at one time considered carrying around a fair sized piece of barn roofing tin . If I guy could get that tin whacked with the right wooden hammers it would boom like thunder. Turkeys would not be able to resist it. One of you young guys need to try that out and report back

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:12 pm
Longbeard

Great story and great bird. Congratulations!

Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:54 pm