View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 am

Great start to season 
King of Spring

Post Great start to season
I haven't been too active on these boards in quite a while. Any of the old timers should remember me. I used to do a lot of traveling to turkey hunt but now I do most of my traveling following English Setters around in the uplands. I'm trying to be a little more active here during this season.
Anyway, I took the neighbor's son out on opening morning and we found ourselves set up about 70 yards from a gobbling bird. We heard a few other birds in the area but this was the closer bird. I made a soft tree call and just kept quiet after that. At 6:40 I heard the bird fly down and looked about 40 yards away, lo and behold, there were 2 birds. One was a strutter and the other a watcher. They sauntered on in to 20 yards and the young man shot and killed the boss bird. Hunt over at 6:45. The bird was 22.5 lbs, 10" beard. 1 1/16" spurs. I think that the young man had a good time.

I decided to go out this morning and see what was happening. I set up about 150 yards down the ridge from where we were on Saturday. I was set up facing west and heard several gobblers on the property, the closest being about 150 or so yards away. I was getting ready to move on one of them when I heard on gobble pretty close to me but directly behind me. I slipped around to the other side of the tree and waited. When he flew down I called a bit but he did not answer me. I made a few more calls and one gobbled about 30 yards away and, you guessed it, directly behind me. I sat still hoping that he'd go to my left where my gun was pointed and he gobbled in my right ear no more than 5 yards away. I decided to try to swing as smoothly as I could and try to get a shot and he took off running but was only about 20 yards when I hammered down. A two year old bird; 18 lbs., 9 1/2" beard, 3/4" spurs. Fun hunt that was over at 6:30.
In the old days I'd keep hunting them and try to fill my tags but I don't think that I want to kill any more up there. I will probably go out and call but probably not shoot any more. Who knows.

Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:14 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Great start to season
Very nice report Jim. And so good to see you creep back to the board from out of the woodwork. I missed seeing you here and I know others have too.

Great work to take the young man. I’m sure his beard is still spinning.

And good work on your spin around shot. Not any any one to pull off.

Do not quit now. Keep hunting. We need more reports from guys like you. GN

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:15 am
King of Spring

Fantastic start!! Congrats Men!

Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:44 am
King of Spring

Congrats.. awesome to take the young man out.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:04 pm
King of Spring

Congrats to both of you!

Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:44 pm