View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 am

Opening Day 2023 
King of Spring

Post Opening Day 2023
Hope everyone had an enjoyable opening day here in VA.

After getting my 2 birds this past fall winter season I went forth with one tag left to Quantico. Got to my area at 0445, ten minutes later a truck pulled in behind me and the driver proceeded to get out and assemble his gear. As he walked past me I asked him where he is headed. He said turkey hunting. So after a few words (hunter respect and ethics) of where he was going and I said since that was my choice and knew I wasn't going to change his mind I said I was going out around about 1/2 mile and come in the back side and then showed him on Onx hunt where I would be and he would be about 300 yards apart he said fine in kinda of a discuseting tone I wished him well and he continued on ( the fun of public land hunting).

Once set up I just let the woods come to life naturally. I heard my buddy use his plastic owl hooter to no response. After fair light 2 birds wnt off. One behind me and one up closer to my buddy.So I turned and focused on the bird to my rear. After some soft tree calling and getting a response. I let the bird fly down till I called again. Calling softly on my wing bone I was only able to get one gobble out of him and then he sounded further away (wikes). So I cranked it up a bit on the bone and low and behold the one closer to my buddy sounded closer to me. So around the tree I go. Continued on with soft calling (amazing how far turkeys can hear soft calls) Once I knew he was committed the last he gobbled I shut up 10 minutes later here comes his white head and strutting about 70 yards out. He continued in, fairly open woods at a slow pith to about 50 yards. He stopped and gobbled then went back into display mode and started the strutting slow walk towards me. At that point I was concerned my buddy may be trying to keep up with him or get around him. So a lot of my focus was all around the woods. By then the bird had got to one of my trees that I had ranged at 40 yards. At that point I gave a cluck with my mouth and up came his head and back came the trigger. Like a sack of potatoes he was down. 41.3 yards, bad depth perception.

On the way back and almost at the truck my new buddy showed up and said nice job. He thought about going after it but then knew where I was and just listened. He also thought some on what I told him about hunter respect and thanked me for it.

21.4 lbs
9 3/4" beard
7/8 inch spurs.

Earl

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:05 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Opening Day 2023
That’s a nice bird Earl. Too bad to be through with the spring season so early for your self but I’m sure you will be taking some others.

Also very Good short version of how to respect and get along with other hunters in the woods. Talk to the other guy. So accidents don’t happen and tempers do not flare later.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:34 am
King of Spring

Congrats. Good deal. Hopefully he took it to heart.

Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:07 pm
King of Spring

I wish you and GN would write a book, even if it was stories of ones that got way. Congratulations

Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:54 am
King of Spring

Congratulations sir.. good job..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:52 pm
King of Spring

Congrats man!! There was never a doubt!

Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:41 pm
King of Spring

Sounds like an eventful filled morning.
And it all worked out great for you.

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:19 am
King of Spring

GG,
Quite the gentleman. Hope your discourse wasn't wasted on him. Who knows, maybe you hit paydirt. I'm surprised he didn't ask you to help him score. One day I'd like to hunt with you, even without a gun. Would be fun. Congrats to you on a great hunt.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Sun May 07, 2023 9:15 pm
Longbeard

Congratulations for a successful season!

Mon May 08, 2023 10:59 am