View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:16 am

Late opening morning success!!! Updated with pics!! 
King of Spring

Post Late opening morning success!!! Updated with pics!!
Hey guys and gals! Been a long while since I've been able to post a story!! I haven't killed a spring gobbler in 3 years, so I was due!!! I don't know how to post pictures on here anymore, so if you'd please allow me, I'd like to share my story! If anybody would like to help me post pics, I'd be glad to email ya the pics! But for now, here's my story! So here goes!

"Opening morning welcomed us all with cloudy, foggy and downright cool conditions this morning as we all took to the woods to set our sights on the King of Spring! My story starts with my best friend and I sitting on a field's edge next to a beautiful pine forest nestled right in one of Catawba areas fine mountain range. We were greeted with a couple strong gobbles from a roosting gobbler, unfortunately across the road up the side of the mountain on the other side. We listened to him gobble good, and then to his probable demise as a shot rang out shortly after he moved away from his roost sight. We decided to move on and head to another spot, too find several gobbling turkeys, again, on the other side of the road on the opposite mountain ridge. I told my friend that I was just enjoying listening to them gobble all morning long. We decided about 945ish that we needed to head to another location and give it a try the last hour and a half, so we hopped in the truck and headed to Bedford County. We got to my place about 1030, geared up and headed into the woods to a very great late morning location that has yielded several birds in years past! While walking through the woods at 1040ish, getting close to "my tree" while on high alert, I noticed the unmistakable black blob down through the woods about 60 to 70 yards away. I motioned for my friend to stop and drop down, and we both slowly got down and crawled to a nearby tree and set up. I made a couple soft calls and raked the leaves a little bit and all was quiet. Not sure if the turkey saw me or not, I cranked up the intensity and GOBBLE! He was still there! Sat quiet for what seemed like an eternity and some crows flew over making racket and he shock gobbled to them! He hadn't moved! My buddy suggested I hit the power crystal! Not sure if I should move to get the call, and lower the shotgun or not, I reluctantly did so and hit the crystal! GOBBLE!!! This time, there was a little more intensity too his response, so I laid the call down, and readied the 870! A few moments later, the tips of his tail fan gave him away first as he was cresting the steep ridge that was hiding us from him! I whispered, I see him! He took a couple more steps towards me, and turned slightly to his left in full strut! He periscoped that beautiful red and white head and then lowered back down in strut! He took one more step, left to right into a clearer shooting lane and periscoped one last time! I settled the brand new vortex venom dot on his head and squeezed off the shot! Down he went and I jumped up and took off down the ridge after him! Looked at my watch and noticed that it was 1049! A late morning beautiful Bedford County gobbler down! 9 inch beard, just under 1 inch spurs! What a beautiful, blessed morning!"

Last edited by jstchln71 on Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:58 pm
2 Year Old

Post Re: Late opening morning success!!!
Congrats man, Feels good to get a bird after a while I've gone two without and i'm hoping to get one this year.

Wild Bill :smt006

Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:16 pm
King of Spring

Congratulations

Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:40 pm
King of Spring

Good hunt to break your drought!
Congratulations

Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:16 am
King of Spring

Nice hunt and congratulations on a great hunt and bird.

Earl

Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:31 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Congratulations. Stayed with it and it worked out.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:29 am
King of Spring

:smt023

Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:55 am
King of Spring

congrats man..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:53 pm
King of Spring

Congratulations on a well-earned bird. Posting pics is pretty easy. It has to be if I figured it out.

Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:40 pm
King of Spring

Please enlighten me! Lol, I used to use photo bucket.. but don't know if that still works anymore! I'd be glad to post some pics if I can figure it out! Lol!

Congrats on you're hunts as well!

Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:33 pm
King of Spring

jstchln71 wrote:
Please enlighten me! Lol, I used to use photo bucket.. but don't know if that still works anymore! I'd be glad to post some pics if I can figure it out! Lol!

Congrats on you're hunts as well!

Look at the stick post above this that says Photobucket pics. In that the is some info on how to use Imgur. Follow the instructions and it's easy.

Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:24 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Late opening morning success!!!UPDATED WITH PICS

Ok guys, so I think I was able to figure this out.. I had to change the website on my phone to desktop view and I was finally able to figure this thing out.. I wanted to send a couple extra pics, but here's what I could get for now!!

Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:14 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Late opening morning success!!! Updated with pics!!
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:33 pm