View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

Fall gobbler acted like it was April 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Fall gobbler acted like it was April
I have only fall hunted turkeys one other time. Today I went to a farm I expect to lose for access due to the death of the landowner.

Set up early and didn’t hear a Turkey sound for ninety minutes. I knew birds were in the area from some scouting in the last month. But they were quiet on the limb and after flydown. About nine o clock I saw a flock of 22 hens come in to the edge of the pasture. One was bearded and there looked to be three adult hens and rest were young of year hens. They fed through and left the field.

Ten minutes late a group of LB came in and I was able to harvest the first one that got in range. A nice two year old with 9 inch beard and spurs near an inch. Did not weigh it but guessing 18 pounds.

Attachments:
7D43BD3C-C1C2-4D2A-95FB-01FF08BE742A.jpeg
7D43BD3C-C1C2-4D2A-95FB-01FF08BE742A.jpeg [ 204.53 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:40 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Fall gobbler acted like it was April
Something perfect about taking a nice gobbler a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:12 pm
King of Spring

Nice Pic!

Right there thats why there should only be a fall winter season, your account fall gobbler acted like it was April. Both of both seasons in one. Lol

Sorry to hear of the landowners death and you losing the farm.

Earl

Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:13 am
2 Year Old

nice pic,

Got Thanksgiving dinner :D

Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:36 pm
King of Spring

Nice. They have a winter season here in January. I'm thinking of trying it. Did you just sit in a blind or chase?
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:11 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I killed the bird from a blind. I had watched these birds daily routine for a few weeks. I knew that the hens and poults came from one direction about 8 am and that the gobblers came from a different area. The pasture edge where they crossed was a good set up place. Sat in a pop up blind. Stuck out a jake decoy. Hens came through on schedule. Fifteen minutes later I see the group of LB coming. Made a call. Birds gobbled hard. They saw the decoys and charged in. Picked out a nice one drooped ir.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 pm