View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am

End of season 
King of Spring

Post End of season
I tried one last time hunting in PA. Went to a SGL area and did a walk about. Heading out a got a hen talking. That was it. Worst year for me in a long time. Just couldn't find talking birds. I worked 2 birds one day, got one, and another bird but wouldn't come into the woods. I hunted a couple 3 days a week and just didn't hear them. Luck of the draw. Hope next year fairs better. congrats to all that scored.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 30, 2022 3:19 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: End of season
I am seeing a few poults. I never see many early and normally see far more in july and august if it is a good hatch locally. Seen some friends video of a hen in another southern state with a group of more than 12 week old poults.

I am fishing a good bit in turkey country now and still seeing hens and LB together still in some places. Local hay is mostly done now. Unteling how many hens and nests were lost.

Friend saw a bobcat kill a LB in daylight this week in N Fla.

Despite all the obstacles, Life goes on in the turkey world. I dont know how they survive at all in the predator heavy environment we have now. And last weeks torrential rain and temperatures may have really hurt what poult hatch has already occurred.

Can only hope for the best in the what the turkeys can control.

Forsee a lotto changes coming in the regulations for all turkey harvests in many southern states. Likely later openings , shorter seasons, reaping addressed, lower limits. Time will tell whether this helps the birds. There are just vastly more turkey hunters out there I think. Pressure daily has changed the game for the birds and the hunters. For the worst I fear.

Im glad I have taken a lot of pictures over the years.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue May 31, 2022 7:06 am
King of Spring

GN,
I fear you are correct. I'm working on the predators by trapping, however, the management of the hunter component will be much more difficult. I've had good hunting spots ruined by other hunters that have no idea what they're doing. I think many new Turkey hunters chase the birds rather than call them in. Others ambush them. I knew where 20 plus birds roosted every night. A guy hunted it youth day and that evening the birds didn't return. What did he have to do to chase birds out of a roost in 1 morning? I'm not sure, but I'd guess they walked up to the trees in darkness, waited for shooting time and blasted away. I don't know this for sure, but it's the only thing I can think of. I've had birds in areas and all the sudden they're gone.
Its jus crazy.
Maybe I'm just ranting but I've seen this more and more every year.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue May 31, 2022 8:02 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Sad footnote to the reference I made to the hen and twelve poults on the earlier post. Friend had a camera out on a dustbowl are where this hen brought her chicks daily prior to May 20. Huge hail storm and two days of cold weather after May 20. No hen on poults seen on his cameras since that storm.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:31 am
King of Spring

Sad to hear.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:40 am