View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 am

Bird flu and wild turkeys. Meateater article 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Bird flu and wild turkeys. Meateater article
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/ur ... bHWKpZo&e=

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue May 17, 2022 10:03 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Bird flu and wild turkeys. Meateater article
That's some scary stuff right there. After all the crap we went through with Covid, now our turkey are getting hit. Sometimes I wonder just how natural these events are. It just so happens that a new virulent strain popped up? Really? We have evidence that Covid was man made, could this be similar? Millions of chickens are being slaughtered, this is getting bad.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue May 17, 2022 11:57 am
King of Spring

I have heard a little on this but more on the following.

Lymphoproliferative disease (LPDV), for example, was first detected in the United States in 2009 and a 2016 study revealed that 80% of hunter-harvested asymptomatic wild turkeys tested positive for LPDV in Pennsylvania (Brown et al. 2016, Allison et al.2014).

Yes some scary stuff for the turkeys. But in the last 5 years there has been a lot more money going into turkey research. I am sure with all the studies going on now more hopefully not so much bad news but good news for the turkeys so far as management and increase in some area populations if not at least a stabilizing of the population.

Earl

Wed May 18, 2022 5:43 pm
King of Spring

Never heard of LPDV. What does it do to the turkey?is it lethal to them? I'm hoping that more will take interest in their well being rather than just wanting to kill one. I'm spending quite a bit of money and time on trapping egg suckers and predators. Hope that will help future numbers but like anything else, it takes time.
Good to hear from you Earl.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed May 18, 2022 10:26 pm
King of Spring

Vic, it appears to be fairly new and the overall effects of it. I am just now diving into it myself.

Currently, little is known about the impacts of diseases on reproduction or survival of wild turkeys.
I know more states are looking into this but not much is being published.

This year I believe in June the committee is meeting for the Wild turkey symposium in NC. Selected turkey biologists meet every 5 years and publish thier data of the latest science, findings and research that may help the turkey population.

Hopefully they will publish more on this new to me disease.

I know there is studies/research on this but not much being published.

Will post more on this as I get info on it..

Earl

Thu May 19, 2022 6:48 am
King of Spring

Thanks Earl. I'll do likewise if I get any information.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 pm
King of Spring

Did a little read on the retro virus. I'd kind of equate this to the Human PapillomaVirus (HPV) that people get and can cause cervical and other forms of cancer. It only happens in a small percentage of those who get it but it does affect a population. You've probably seen them pushing the vaccine on TV. It's an issue but maybe not as big an issue as we think. It's kind of like CWD. It's a horrible disease that destroys the brain and was once thought would wipe out the Cervid population in the wild and captivity. I'm not saying it hasn't hurt the herd, but at this time it hasn't killed them all. We seem to have all these new diseases coming out all them time. I often wonder how many of them are escapees from some labs somewhere. Lymes was first encountered just outside a bio lab near Lyme, Connecticut. Covid first encountered outside a bio lab in Wuhan China. Who knows the origin of many of these others. Really gives me pause. But I digress.

Glad to hear your Mrs. is doing well. Mine has been having some issues too. Happy they are both on the mend.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu May 19, 2022 3:16 pm